Firefly in HD on Universal-HD Sundays starting Sep 24th

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Eric F, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

7pm and 11:30pm.

I thought this wasn't possible because the FX elexments were done in SD? Did they go back and redo the FX?

2. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

I'm curious about this myself. There's a conversation going on over at AVS Forum about this; the prevailing theory seems to be that the filmed material will be HD and the FX will be upconverted. Mind you, I know very little about HD, so I have no clue what they're talking about!

And, shoot, I wish I knew someone who had this channel. They're also showing "Century City," which I would liked to have seen more of before it was axed.

3. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Well, I have the channel and have to say it's no great shakes. They show a couple of decent series and movies, but they usually rerun them to death. What were there, 6 episodes of Century City?

Battlestar Galactica is their best series by far. Next month they'll be showing Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which should be a keeper too.

They also pump out fakey 5.0 surround, which is annoying as hell (with the exception of Battlestar Galactica which is true 5.1).

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That would be my guess too. Emphasis on 'guess'. [​IMG]

5. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

According to epguides.com, there were 9 filmed, only four of which were aired by CBS.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Anything shot on film could be re-scanned to HD, so I welcome that. And if the effects were digital, I don't see how it would be that hard to re-output if they have the source files [​IMG]

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

According to Joss and everyone else in existence, the FX were rendered in SD and the source material was lost.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The FX should still look good. It'll have a definate "matte" look to it, but I personally think it'll be a small price to pay. Here's hoping they put the series in HD on one format or another!

9. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Who gets Universal-HD? Is it exclusive to Dish or Direct-TV or are cable companies going to get it as well? I'm on comcast.

10. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

Not to shoot the messenger, but that is the dumbest thing I have heard.

The source material was lost? What the hell? The show just aired 4 years ago. How the hell did they lose the effects?

11. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

It's on DIRECTV -- it's listed as part of their HD programming package. I'm on Comcast too, and it isn't listed as an option in my area, according to Comcast's webpage. Neither is HDNet, which is also carried by DIRECTV. Universal HD is also on Dish Network, available in even their lowest-cost HD package.

Hmm, might be time to start thinking about switching back to satellite -- something I seem to do just about every month when my cable bill arrives....

12. Jason Harbaugh

Figures. [​IMG]

I saw that comcast now has TNT-HD which too place of InHD2 on our comcast lineup.

I agree with you on the bill. If I didn't live in an apartment complex I would probably have a dish by now, but where I'm at, it is a pain in the ass.

13. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting my HD from Comcast and I have Universal HD, also; TNT HD, INHD 1, INHD 2

14. Jason Harbaugh

What area are you in Hayes?

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    comcast philly area will be adding uhd aug 15th.

16. Hayes Preston

Central Maryland (Anne Arrundel county specifically)

UHD is our newest HD channel. They added it for additional coverage of the summer Olympics, and just kept it in the lineup.

17. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

It is also on Cox in Hampton Roads, VA. The best way to watch Battlestar almost commercial free.

18. Hayes Preston

I'll second that!!

There's stuff you can see on the HD broadcast that is not even close to being visable on the SD broadcast. The episode titled "Scar" is the best example, all those fx in the asteriod field, when the pilots saw the cylon, I couldn't and just assumed it was meant to be that way, until I saw it on UHD.