What's new

FIREFLY DVD Discussion Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Got one of the last copies of FF at Suncoast for their great $35 deal. It was sold out in two local stores and the one I got was from a store that just re-stocked. The clerks, rare for this kind of store, were very up on it and cursed Fox for their short sightedness! Very cool.

Great discs so far. I agree that the first episode seemed unusually dark but the remaining ones (I am only up to disc 2) are bright when they need to be. Tons of commentary on these discs, though I only have listened to the first one (and it is a fun one). Lots of hints at a movie, but I just can't see it being what we need. Sure, they might resolve some stuff but so many things were set up, it would be a disappointing couple of hours. The siblings alone are enough for a movie, let alone the rest of the huge cast.

I hope that some network gets the juice up to put up some funds for it.

I liked that in the commentary they were able to get in some jabs at Fox and their decision to cut the show along with re-arranging the order of the episodes. None too subtle but they do come up short of calling Fox idiots. Hopefully good sales figures will open some eyes.

Phil

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Oh, and for problems I did have a bit of a hiccup on disc one (but not on two). While the pilot was playing, I noticed that the timeer wasn't moving much. At one point, it read only "5:00" and then another it was "7:00." I would click on "remaining" to see what was up and it said as if it were locked in at 5 minutes yet the show was nearly an hour into it. There were no hiccups in the episode, thankfully, but then I hit "skip" at the credits to get to the menu, it started the show over again. Odd. It is clear that the packaging and such was a bit more rushed than other shows like Buffy and Angel so maybe care wasn't put forth as much for the transfer to the DVD medium.

Humph.

Phil

Nick

Second Unit
I never saw it when it was shown on TV but decided to rent the DVD and now I'm hooked and now I'm mad because it's not on TV anymore.
Did any other network pick up on it ? I really wish Scifi channel pick up on it.
When is the feature film coming out anybody know ?

Nick

Second Unit
I never saw it when it was shown on TV but decided to rent the DVD and now I'm hooked and now I'm mad because it's not on TV anymore.
Did any other network pick up on it ? I really wish Scifi channel pick up on it.
When is the feature film coming out anybody know ?

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I've been told (in this very thread no less) that a new series is out of the question. All other news regarding the movie can be found here!

SciFi though? After the Farscape fiasco, I wouldn't want them to touch it with a frellin' pole. Ah well, it's a shame about both these shows, realy. At least Farscape gets a mini-series. Firefly will have to make do with 90 minutes. Sigh...

(Btw, it sure is heartwarming to see those customer reviews piling up over at amazon.)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, we've all been told that a new series is out of the question, but I don't give up hope. It may be out for the next season or two because the cast members have picked up new roles or contracts, but nothing lasts forever.

if anything, family guy's revival has shown that something nobody expected could actually happen.

I'd say it's a 99% chance FIREFLY will never make it back on TV, but it's still got a shot...

I'd say there's a strong chance for more of a Direct to DVD release of the show. A new DVD set every 6 months with like 6-8 episodes on it. I can see it turning quite a profit should the movie perform well. The current DVD is performing well above expectations, and lets face it, FOX sure wouldn't have released it if they simply hoped to BREAK EVEN. So basically, FOX expected LESS of what was sold so far, as a profit. I'm sure it would be profitable to release a 4 episode DVD every 4 months for like 20 bucks...(ahhhh, wishful thinking is fun)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I'd love to see that happen. I can see fantastic sales on it too. Can you imagine those releases doing so well that they'd put it on TV? Gee, the DVD's would be out first! :)

Glenn

Nick

Second Unit
Here's something the Network should think of doing. Release the first 5 episodes On DVD first to establish a fan base. Then See how well it's doing on DVD. Then start showing them on TV.
It take awhile to get into the show and a week is a long wait when there's a lot of show on TV poeple tend to forget the time it's on and start watching something else.
It took me a couple three to four episode to get into the show. Poeple wanna start watching it without commercial interruption. Once you're hooked you'll start tune in every week. From what I read. Star trek wasn't that popular either when it was first shown on TV and look at how many star trek clone we have On TV right now.

Just my two cents

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
I made an interesting observation after finishing the series (yes, I'm as sad as anyone else. Watching Serenity was like that first time you tried crack and now I can't get anymore!). In the show, if the United States and China were supposed to have merged into one superduperpower, how come we don't see many Chinese, or Asians for that matter, as characters? I'm suprised that there isn't one on the Serenity crew. Surely China would of still enjoyed its overwhelming population advantage over the United States (I think its over four to one). It seems like the only thing gotten from this were cultural and languange influences, but not the people. Or, maybe everyone inter-married with everyone else and everyone got mixed?

Just a thought.

acg

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Or maybe it's just one of the secrets that were never explained.

(Watched Alien this weekend. The Blue Sun in that movie is called Weyland-Yutani... Same American-oriental thing going on there.)

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Or, maybe everyone inter-married with everyone else and everyone got mixed?
LOL, there's a difference between the races becoming mixed and being caucasian/British heritage American:D. Unless caucasians have been recently proven to be the 'neutral' race.... ;)

Good observation, in any case.

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Unless caucasians have been recently proven to be the 'neutral' race....
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I wouldn't touch that with a pole of any length!
:D

acg

Nick

Second Unit
I hope the movie becomes a big hit in theater. Fox would crawl on their knees and beg them to come back to TV.
Was wondering if all the original cast will be in the movie.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My college-age son keeps inviting friends over to watch my Firefly DVDs. So far there have been at least 5 Firefly marathons at my house since Dec. 23. The reaction is always the same. The kids get PO'd that the show is not on the air anymore.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Joss Whedon stated that one of the biggest things involved with the movie was that he'd only do it if he could get the entire cast back. So, I believe they all signed on before he even started writing the script... I can't remember.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My college-age son keeps inviting friends over to watch my Firefly DVDs. So far there have been at least 5 Firefly marathons at my house since Dec. 23. The reaction is always the same. The kids get PO'd that the show is not on the air anymore.
I bring disc one along with me everywhere I go. Never know when I can hook another fan.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I just started watching Farscape season 1. What is the Farscape Fiasco?

I am enjoying Farscape, but honestly I constantly have to fight my desire to put Firefly in for anothe run while I am watching Farscape, the whole ship and crew stuff is reminds me of my treasured viewings of Firefly, and suddenly Farscape is very pale in comparison..

For all of those in tears or anger that firefly was ended, go to Suncoast or Bestbuy and look at their TV on DVD sections, you will be horrified to see the kind of crap put out on dvd with numerous seasons of 22 episodes each. I DEMAND JUSTICE FOR FIREFLY, I WANT RESIGNATIONS FROM FOX NETWORK EXECS, DID THEY EVEN WATCH THE SHOW, THEY DIDNT EVEN GIVE IT A CHANCE TO BUILD AN AUDIENCE, FROM NOW ON ALL SCI FI SHOWS SHOULD GET CONTRACTS FOR A WHOLE SEASON AT THE START.

Wheres the petition? If you make it we will buy it! Firefly straight to DVD!

Kai Zas

Second Unit
What is the Farscape Fiasco?
Well, the way Farscape got the shaft at the end of its fourth season. They didn't know, so the writers ended the season with one heck of a cliffhanger. And then they got canceled by SciFi. Fans got angry. It will be getting a 4 hour miniseries though, end of this year.

FireFly and Farscape are two different beasts, if you ask me. I like them both equally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks