What's new

FIREFLY DVD Discussion Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
You guys are lucky. I went to five (5) stores today in Seattle including Best Buy and Tower and NO ONE HAD IT! The guy at Tower hadn't heard of it despite the fact that they were advertising it in the paper. Best Buy said they got one copy in and it was returned as defective. A little Mom & Pop brick and mortar store I go to for last resort only got two copies in. They had never heard of the show so didn't expect to sell many. When they came to open the store yesterday morning, ten of their regular customers were waiting for the store to open expecting to buy it. I guess pre-ordering is the way to go.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Not necessarily mail order. Try Costco.

Always cheap, though the selection is a bit limited and often unpredictable. They showed no Firefly on their website, but I knew they'd have Buffy S5 so I took a chance and was rewarded-- $31.99 for FireFly, $39.99 for Buffy.

I recoup the yearly membership cost in savings on DVDs alone.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I noticed how dark the beginning of "Serenity" was as well. Whenever they would run into that little hut, I couldn't see anything. I didn't recall it being THAT dark when I watched it on the Fox Digital channel.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
It certainly wasn't that dark when aired. At least on my satellite feed. And my VCR generally makes things darker, not lighter.

Is something wrong with Mutant Enemy's equipment? Angel has been the same way this year. Have they re-targeted their production calibration to the crappy setups at Best Buy and Circuit City?

Joel C

Screenwriter
Serenity was so dark when I saw it on TV, I could barely make out what was going on during the opening battle scene.

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are lucky. I went to five (5) stores today in Seattle including Best Buy and Tower and NO ONE HAD IT! The guy at Tower hadn't heard of it despite the fact that they were advertising it in the paper. Best Buy said they got one copy in and it was returned as defective. A little Mom & Pop brick and mortar store I go to for last resort only got two copies in. They had never heard of the show so didn't expect to sell many. When they came to open the store yesterday morning, ten of their regular customers were waiting for the store to open expecting to buy it. I guess pre-ordering is the way to go.
I hope this is a good sign...this show needs to sell really well to show fox what a mistake they made (not that they'll bring it back :frowning:).

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

Huh. Not per my VCR tape, but I guess things must have differed by broadcast station.

Well, at any rate, this didn't appear to have lasted beyond Serenity. The Train Job looked fine.

Jasoda

Auditioning
I noticed it too. I had to crank the brightness on my TV to see the facial expressions and any other detail. I haven't been able to watch anything past the first episode so I'll have to see if it continues.

I went to the Best Buy in Bellevue at 3:00pm on Tuesday and got the last copy of Firefly they had. They only had space for maybe 8 or 10 copies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope this is a good sign...this show needs to sell really well to show fox what a mistake they made (not that they'll bring it back :frowning:).
Not so much Fox needs to see this sell well as Universal does. Even though they won't make a dime off of it, it may be the impetus needed to convince them there's an audience for a movie. They've already optioned the franchise, let's hope the DVD sales are good enough to turn the option into a greenlight.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,
I am really thinking of spending some X-Mas cash on this DVD set and was wondering if it comes with the three unaired episodes that it was rumored to carry? Did this happen? I am just curious.

Thanks!

Phil

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I finally found it at Suncoast at the Northlake Mall. They had a sign advertising at as being on sale for $19.99. They saisd the sign was wrong and wanted to sell it to me at $39.99 but I politely said I didn't think it was fair that the advertised price wouldn't be honored. It wasn't like it had a wrong price tag. It was a pretty large sign (I was actually willing to pay the correct price, but I figured I would take a shot. The manager let me have it at the 19.99 price but she was pretty snotty about it. She tore up the sign and asked me to shop elsewhere.

Fine buy me. They wanted $89.99 for the Alien Quadrilogy and almost all their other prices were at MSRP.

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
OK, whose freaking bright idea was it to cancel this show! After watching the first 15 min of the pilot, I'm hooked. I can't say that I'm familiar with Josh Weeden's (sp?) work as I'm not a fan of Buffy or Angel (my sincerest apologies) but this is one of the most creative and well put together sci-fi concepts I've seen in a long time. And I can't believe this show was made for network TV, especially after the line
"If they board the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh and sew our skin to their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they do it in that order."

to describe the Reavers! OMG, I have to rewind just to hear that line again. And I love how the reality that the show takes place in is a mixture of many cultures.

I've just seen the first three episodes but bring it on! Why hasn't this show been revived by another network or on the Sci-Fi channel? Especially when you have crap sci-fi like Andromeda and (to a lesser extent)Enterprise.

acg

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I've just seen the first three episodes but bring it on! Why hasn't this show been revived by another network or on the Sci-Fi channel? Especially when you have crap sci-fi like Andromeda and (to a lesser extent)Enterprise.
You might be deligthed to hear that there is a Firefly movie in the works, helmed by Joss Whedon himself. If this works out well, we might have a chance of more Firefly in the future.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Larry D.,

That is funny how the lady at Suncoast told you to shop elsewhere...like you screwed them. I cannot understand the people who shop and buy there. Almost everything is full price. Geez, go next door to Best Buy, Target,etc and save $5 to $10 bucks a disc(sometimes more).

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Well, the motion picture is a little tentative. Joss has, in the recent past, attempted to temper the enthusiasm of the fan community with some interviews which indicate that the movie is only a possibility and not a certainty.

I hope something comes of it, not least a revival of this ingenious series on television, but I'm not betting on anything yet.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Good advice Todd except all the places you mentioned didn't have Firefly. It sold out everywhere else in Seattle (which bodes well for a movie I think).

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
So, I've read that Universal has picked up Firefly :emoji_thumbsup: and is producing the movie. Does anyone else know more about this? I await you response with bated breath.

acg

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Universal did *not* pick up Firefly, they have *optioned* a movie. Joss is working out the details right now, and it remains to be seen what will become of it, if anything.

Lot's of scripts get optioned in Hollywood and often nothing comes of it, so you've got to keep a bit of pessimism lurking about in the background, but there is some hope of seeing the crew of Serenity on the screen again-- silver or phosphor.

I wouldn't expect this until 2005, if ever, regardless of what the IMDB says.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks