What's new

Firefly Cancelled--Officially. (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course, Babylon 5 was also less expensive and produced by a corporate sibling, which would make FX a more natural target for Firefly.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
FX could be a good spot, but I guess its biggest problem is the budget. Anyone know how much The Shield coast per episode in season 1? But even if they could get the budget down to a reasonable level, Fox could just be tired of Firefly.
According to Aint It Cool the cast and crew are are under contract until the end of the month, after that they're allowed to take other work, thats the reason for the "hail mary" part of the previous announcement.
JQ

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think if the budget could just be brought down, the series would last. but 2 million for 2.9 average ratings is just not worth it to many networks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget, that's $2M for 2.9 viewers with Fox having a chance to make money off later sales. For non-News Corp-owned stations, it's worth even less.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
3.5 I think for fastlane's first week on Friday.

Tomorrow we'll see about tonight.

Yeah. Fox could make money off of DVD sales and stuff. UPN wouldn't, that's a good example.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe TNT? They helped Babylon 5 when it was in trouble.
And then the bridges were summarily burned when TNT nuked Crusade over creative differences with jms. I don't think they've been all that friendly to new series since, either... seem to recall some griping about their handling of Witchblade.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't WitchBlade really successful in rating's? Yet they cancel it for some reason "We feel the creative time is right..." blah blah. Wasn't there like 24 episodes total?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
seem to recall some griping about their handling of Witchblade.
Yeah, they abruptly canceled it while it was doing quite well. Apparently their only interest in the series was as a proof of concept to show that they could successfuly develop a new series. Once they had proven their point they apparently had no interest in continuing the show even though it was successful, so the canceled it. Sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do IMHO, but that's network exec thinking for you.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And Nathan Fillion has apparently signed a deal with NBC, so anything they did would have to work around that.

(Of course, talent deals are signed all the time without them ever coming to anything)

Joel C

Screenwriter
I knew before the season statrted that the show wouldn't last, and I knew when it was cancelled that it was over. I liked it a lot, but I'm strangely over it. Bring back Farscape!

Barry Woodward

Second Unit

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got done watching the 3 unaired Firefly eps. I found them on the Net. Quality is very poor.

Heart of Gold is a great episode. There are some classic Jane moments! I can't wait until this series hits DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks