What's new

Firefly Cancelled--Officially. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Any chance that UPN would pick up Firefly as a midseason fill-in for the Tuesday 9 p.m. slot (or Wednesday after Enterprise)?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unlikely, but I DO think they can make their intentions known to order it for next year early enough to hold people

RickGr

Second Unit
60 minutes has lasted just fine being delayed by football for years.
Lat week was the key. Firefly got its lowest ratings yet, 2.4. Some say "but it was off the air for two weeks so people lost track:, yet John Doe was also off two weeks yet its fans found it when it returned and it held its ratings.
Dark Angel got better ratings in the 8PM Friday slot then Firefly so the bottom line is the concept of Firefly just did not catch on even to the SF/Fantasy base that Dark Angel had.
What would you do if you were a TV executive? Use your brains not your hearts..and yes, I will miss Firefly.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Someone mentioned at the toonzone forum that Joss is trying to find another network for the show and Fox is not opposing him. This could be old and futile news.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was watching two shows regularly. Buffy was one and Firefly was the other one, and now one of them's cancelled. Oh well. That's how my tastes in tv go. Back to just one hour a week...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Dark Angel got better ratings in the 8PM Friday slot then Firefly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's because Firefly didn't have a hot chick that kicks high
Gina Torres doesn't count?

But, hey, you've got to give the people what they want.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Ah well. That leaves 24, The Amazing Race, and Survivor.
And two of them end next week. :frowning:
And El Clon ended last Tuesday. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
*sigh*

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
So what's left to be seen? There's an ep. tonight, and I read a post suggesting that the pilot will be shown next week. Is that it?

Thanks,
Martin.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Gina rarely kicks high

They've shown what, 9 episodes so far? Tonight is 10, unaired pilot should be 11 and 12 which leaves an additional 3, probably for March or April doldrums. Maybe even early summmer

The REALLY bad news is that apprently there is a 39 minute version of the original pilot running around out there on the net with "not for broadcast" burned into it. I'd say it's an aborted attempt to make the pilot into a single episode, cutting out the "boring intellectual" parts. Hopefully this will NOT be what's airing next Friday (quick check of TVGuide.com shows a 2 hour Firefly block)

Oh, and from the rumors, 24 Year 3 isn't looking so hot, so get ready for more sadness. The only good part is that I'll have a lot less TV to watch. With Buffy, Firefly, and maybe 24 and Angel gone, that means that there will be NOTHIGN to watch on broadcast TV except on Wednesday, and Sunday, and Enterprise is on REALLY shakey ground right now. Huzzah!

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Angel's going off the air? Why? I thought it was doing well.

No 24:3? they could totally switch people and do somebody else's day.

Is it for sure that this is Buffy's last year?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's 90% sure this is Buffy's last year

Angel's ratings aren't so hot this year, one of the reasons it's being moved to Wednesday. I personally believe that we very well may get another season, but unless UPN is hot for it I don't see a season 6. 24's ratings went from a great 12-something for episode one down to the high 4s, it's doing OK, but I actually think DVD sales on S1 will factor into the series future (basically, is the show enough in the black to justify its continued existance)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it would do better on Showtime or HBO, or one of those stations. Cinemax anyone? Does that show have any original shows. they appear to have done wonders for HBO recently with The Sopranos, SATS, SfU, and Showtime Queer As Folk.
Perhaps it'll do better on one of those, or hopefully UPN will pick it up.
This really makes me mad, this is a great show, and it's thankfully only the 2nd time a show I loved was canned (Popular being the other).
Hopefully episode 15 will wrap things up nicely. :frowning:

Joel C

Screenwriter
That 39 minute thing is just part one of the pilot, the big 80 minute file is seperated into two 39 minute segments.

And, and John Doe DIDN'T hold its numbers after being off 2 weeks. it dropped from the low 4s to a 3.2. It actually dropped more points than Firefly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that Firefly lacked that certain magic that makes a show special.
I think many of the fans of the show (but I'm speaking only for myself when I say this) would strongly disagree with you. Sure, the show was episodic rather than an arc, but that worked for it. The show had a great cast, one of the best ensembles on television today, and kept things consistently interesting throughout. Here's to Peter Staddon's luck in getting the complete 15 episodes on DVD in a box set, and here's to Joss Whedon's luck in finding another network for this. Kudos to Fox for supporting this show by allowing Whedon to do this, since you feel you can't support it on your network.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Fox has cancelled Firefly but all hope is not lost. Joss Whedon has pledged his commitment to finding a new home for the show. One of the concerns many people have is that the show may be too costly per episode due to the special effects. What's most important to me and most of the Firefly fans is the story and the human interactions. Any network faced with the decision to pick up Firefly will have to consider costs. If Joss Whedon and the Mutant Enemy writers can devise ways to cut the special effects cost I believe they could finish out the rest of the season on another network and continue for more seasons. What do you think?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's what I thought. I felt that they could reuse some of the special effects once in a while. It's the characters I'm interested in. I love them, and knowing that there's only about 5 more times I'll be seeing them really makes me feel bad.

This is easily the best show I've seen in years. And compared with season 1 of Buffy, it's actually better. I wonder if it'd been able to evolve like Buffy if it would have been better. We'll never know.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it needed more time to find its legs,
This was my issue. It looked like there was a lot of interesting stuff (history/culture) that could have made for some good/thoughtful episodes. But they have taken too long to develop.

I still feel the creators went cheap & easy by dressing/decorating the future with old western cast-off props. It feels like a cheat, and I think it turned off many viewers. Showing a low-tech future is one thing, but adopting the styles, props, accents, and culture of the old west & deep south - shows lack of imagination. If the creators are not going to put in the effort, why should I?

(Yes, I have recorded/watched as many episodes as possible out of respect for Joss. But I dont find myself looking forward to Firefly like I do his other shows.)

I know fans dont want to hear this but a majority of the blame for FireFly is with the writers. Not scheduling. Not politics. Not some inherent bias against SciFi.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
While I will not get into a debate on the subject, I did want to address a few issues that were posted.

First, I did indeed have a good source. :wink: While it could be taken either way by the ET article, that's something that's of opinion and I won't debate that one further. But others did suggest I didn't know what I was talking about without bothering to ask about any other sites or sources as well. In the end, the sources turned out correct.

Second, people can read into words what is not actually written. From now on, it would be more useful to do so. No where in my posts did I state I took joy or "glee" in the fact this show was cancelled. What I said was:

Never watched it except for 3 episodes and couldn't stand it. But I do wish more chances for shows are given by Fox, just like UPN does with junk shows like Enterprise and New Twilight Zone.
If you would read this statement, you WILL NOT find any such words about being glad it was off the air. I stated my personal taste for the show in that "couldn't stand it" and that's it. Then I went on to state that I wished more chanes are given by Fox like other networks. This implied that I held no such animosity to any shows on Fox. As those that have better reading comprehension can tell, word for word I never said any such thing about this show.

The only reason I'm posting this, which is my last one on this topic, is to point out the correct words I used.

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks