Firefly $20 preorder

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by GarySchrock, Nov 25, 2003.

1. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Ok, I haven't actually had a chance to confirm this with my local suncoast, but according to the tivo community forums, Suncoast is doing a thing where if you do a preorder for $5, you can then pick up firefly when it comes out for another $14.99, for a total of $19.99.

2. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I just checked the Suncoast website and they're showing Firefly for 39.98....

3. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

My wife stopped by the Suncoast store this afternoon for me, and indeed, in store the offer is $20 for the set, with $5 preorder. ($5 now, $15 when picked up). Definitely don't see any sign of it on the website, so I guess it's only in store.

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

That is a great deal, AMazon has it listed for 34.99, which I still think is decent.
    I no longer have a Suncoast near me, I believe they are part of the Media Play group, so I wonder if they are having a similar deal?

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I went and pre-ordered 2 (one for my dad for Christmas). I was told it will be $30 is you don't pre-order.

6. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Did this tonight myself.

Would have $27.99 on release day otherwise.

Thanks for the deal!!

Greg

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Looks like this deal may be dead as of tomorrow. Suncoast higher ups are sending out a new release sheet which will have a new preorder price of $39.99

Chris S.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually, the new price sheet was at stores this weekend, so it's definitely a YMMV sort of situation. I had posted this "deal" but then removed it because it wasn't a sure thing, and didn't want people to get all disappointed if they didn't get in on it because of the pricing mix-up initially when Suncoast's price sheets showed this DVD set at $27.99 (pre-order price $19.99), and then a correction on their price list was issued this weekend, and it's up to the individual stores to honor their pricing mistake before the new price list, or to hold the line with the new updated price.

9. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Crap. I was going to pre-order mine today.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The pre-order slips give the prive you're supposed to pay and don't anythign about Suncoast having the right to withdraw the deal, so I think they'd have to honor the price.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Suncoast didn't want to take a beating on the Forever Knight set (priced absurdedly low, I've read, in the past), and wound up just refunding people their deposits.

Now, given that's it's the Christmas holiday season, I would find it bad publicity for Suncoast to deny those who already have their pre-order slips, but I can't fault them for holding the line now that a new corrected price list has come out from their corporate office for new pre-order signups.

12. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

"Curse my metal body; I wasn't fast enough!!"

If only I'd driven to State College last week and pre-ordered. Just called; sure enough, the reservation price is $39.99.

13. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Suncoast is definitely trying to renege on the $19.99 price. My wife got a call earlier today, reminding her that it would be in tuesday, and oh yeah, they "accidentally" wrote the wrong price on the receipt, and it would be $40 instead. Given that the pre-order receipt says that it's $19.99, I'm not sure they can legally refuse to honor that price.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This could get ugly...

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'm already trying to figure out who to lean on to get that price. I was counting on this as a Christmas present for my dad.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I actually got a reminder from Suncoast at my office voicemail that my pre-order for Firefly will be in on Tuesday. Let's hope they honor the $19.99 pre-order price...

17. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit

I too was called and really wanted to ask if I was going to get it at the price paid or if I was going to be "jacked" for the mis-price. Anyone have any thoughts on what to say/do if they refuse to honor the price? Obviously yelling and screaming probably wont get me anywhere - other than ejected from the store.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yelling might indeed be the right thing. [​IMG]

[rant]WHAT? WHEN I PAID FOR THIS PRE-ORDER - *IN FULL*, I MIGHT ADD - YOU GUYS TOLD ME THE PRICE WAS $19.99!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT YOU'RE NOW DOUBLING THE PRICE ON ME AT THE LAST SECOND? WHAT KIND OF A SHOP IS THIS? WHERE IS THE MANAGER?[/RANT]

[​IMG] It might just be the ticket. Of course, explaining the same thing softly, but with a glare in your eye that demonstrates a no-nonsense attitude, might achieve the same results.

Don't forget that technically, you are in the right. They told you that this would be the price, and so they should honor it. If they try to weasel out, then tell them to continue to hold the item for you until you can get in touch with the store manager's boss, and what's that phone #, please?

I assume that there will be at least one reply to this, explaining that "the people trying to get this price know they are in the wrong, because they are ripping off/taking advantage/whatever". Yeah, I see that point, too. But the fact is that the people in this thread are here because they are trying to get this price that Suncoast offered. If it was a mistake, it's Suncoast's mistake to be burdened with. The posters in this thread want the price, and don't want to offer Suncoast an extra $20 to "do the right thing".

I was unable to take advantage of that price. I'm a bit jealous, but that's life. But if you want the price Suncoast offered...my advice is to play it to the hilt. You are the one being wronged by a last-minute doubling of the price. Don't let them forget that, or weasel out of it.

19. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

My suggestion if they decide to cause problems is to tell them you'd rather not have to contact the attorney generals office and the BBB. The problem for them is they have a written contract with you for the preorder, with the price specifically written on it, and I'd be surprised if it's not legally binding.

20. Christopher_J_F

Christopher_J_F Stunt Coordinator

Just Fyi-
    I JUST got back from SAM GOODY in downtown San Diego, and they STILL HAD THE PRE-ORDER PRICE @ $19.99!!!
    I told them that was a really good price and she looked at her list and said "yea, it's normally going to be $29.99"
    So far so good.
    HOWEVER-
    On my Reservation form it says I paid a $5.00 deposit, but the price listed is "Lowest" so I guess I dont have the proof on paper.
    We'll see what happens...