What's new

Firefly 11/15/02 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The show HAS demonstrated a loyal audience, it DOES hold its numbers.
So did "Brisco", though - and that's what it came down to; there was a hard-core fandom that would have watched it if it were on Saturdays at 2am, but for whatever reason, they just could not get people outside the group to watch it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Did any of you guys ever watch 'Fast FOrward"? She's a vet.
Oh, she's the only reason I'm watching it... NOT! Ok, but she helps.

Glenn

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Another great episode. And I like the comparison to the A-Team and feel it was an apt one and for that, I love it. If people didn't die and they had to work hard to convince Jayne he had to fly to the hospital, the comparison would be complete! :D
I think Mal started picking up on the backstabbing when the uncoded messages started to fly from outside to INSIDE the hospital. Either the jig was up before it started or someone had ratted them out. Since Jayne is the only one most likely to have done it AND was caught with the doctor and River, it made sense to be suspiciuos. Even if he was wrong, I don't see Mal going light on him. He has had run-ins with Jayne since the start of the show and even earlier that episode had a backhanded threat (the whole "lock your doors at night when you sleep" was on the surface about River but more to the point was about Jayne).
I think it is pretty premature to call Jayne a Spike or Cordy. Very early. Now if he hasn't completely turned coat or gotten a halo by the end of the season, then we may agree. But half the season isn't even up yet and he has a lot more ground to cover. Without him, sailing is much too smooth. And what kind of fun is that?
Phil

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Great episode.

Part of me was really wanting Mal to walk on out of there without punching that button. It would have been a ballsy move on Whedon's part to kill off a major character this early in the show's run.

OTOH... Jayne is such a fun character (and Baldwin is so great performing him) that I couldn't bear to see him gone so soon.

Ron McBadger

Stunt Coordinator
What's sort of cool about this show is that it can change locale on a dime, and not be a big deal. The locale serves the story that needs telling. Not many shows can claim this.
Farscape could and often did change local on a dime. I was a big basher of Firefly early on but it is starting to grow on me. Simply because they have gotten away from the single episodes and have started to get into the arc episodes. And like others I really think that Fox did a dis-service to the show by showing them out of order without a pilot episode to give us some back ground.

I would rank this episode as the 2nd best I have seen right behind the "out of gas" one which I loved, even though it was a non-arc one. Though it has a ways to go before it becomes as good as Farscape is/was.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, apparently "Firefly" will at least reach pilot+13 episodes, rather than pilot+11:
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?28977
Basically, delaying the decision - this will have the series shooting through the end of December and give the network (and any other part of News Corp that has an interest in it) another few weeks to decide what to do with it (Monday! At! Nine!).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely that's where to put it

It gives hope though, since they ordered 6 scripts we can be FAIRLY certain that it will reach close to 20 eps

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I'm not counting on anything more than the 13 (plus the pilot) that have been ordered, with the other four scripts still just potential DVD-ROM extras.

The only problem with "Firefly" Mondays at 9 is that it means "Keen Eddie" will likely end up on Friday, and that doesn't seem to deserve a crushing any more than "Firefly" (although it would probably be a better match with "John Doe").

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Against Everybody Loves Raymond, Third Watch, and Everwood? Why not give the show with the established niche audience (Boston Public) the 9:00 slot and give Firefly the 8:00 slot, where competition's much slimmer?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's really no good reason for Fox to move "Boston Public". And it's the one with the "mainstream" audience, while "Firefly" has the "niche" audience - which probably overlaps less with the other shows on at 9pm. Also, "Boston Public" is relatively successful, and may bring new viewers into "Firefly", whereas the opposite is less likely.

And, I'll admit, I'm an uptight New Englander who is a little less than comfortable with the number of times the word "whore" and its variants have been used in an 8pm slot on "Firefly".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And, I'll admit, I'm an uptight New Englander who is a little less than comfortable with the number of times the word "whore" and its variants have been used in an 8pm slot on "Firefly".
Heck, I heard more variations of whore (and knew pretty much the conotations associated therein) before I finished elementary school. I'm sure the next generation of kids know more than I did. It's not a big deal to me... where ever it can find an audience is where I think it should be. It's just the fact that I'd have to tape two other things at the potential timeslot doesn't bode well for it's performance there.

Here's an idea, since all the filler for Fox's Sunday lineup turned dead in the water anyway, why not plug King of the Hill back to it's 7:30 spot (where repeats of the simpsons are now playing) and plug Malcolm back into it's old 8:30 spot and give Firefly the 9:00 spot. It would attract a similiar demographic, me thinks. Maybe make the switch when the original pilot airs.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the entire season of Firefly and like it, for the most part. But..., if it came between FF and 3rd Watch? 3rd Watch wins hands down. Thank God for VCRs.
I'm not real big on a Sci-Fi, outer space show, that takes over from Gunsmoke. I want my outer space stuff to be "out there".

Can someone explain all the Chinese stuff in the show to me?

Thanks.

MikeS.

Amy Barnes

Grip
I don't consider myself uptight, but I do still find the use of "whore" jarring on the show because I love Inara's character. And that's AWESOME because it's supposed to be jarring. Mal has used it the most, and it just makes his character more complex--i.e., he will be blunt to the point of insulting when it comes down to his core beliefs. And he has made it clear that he doesn't approve of companions. It's a great source of tension.

But I see your point about the use of it on an 8pm show; however, at this point I think there are a number of shows out there that have already broken that 8pm threshold of family-friendly television (for better or worse depending on your point of view).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The tension between Mal and Inari is not only that Mal doesn't like the idea of companions, but he's totally in lust with Inari, whose occupation is, ironically, of being a companion. It must drive him nuts to drop her off at the places where she hooks up with other guys (and girls, maybe).

Amy Barnes

Grip
Can someone explain all the Chinese stuff in the show to me?
The premise of the show is that in the future the last two superpowers on earth were the U.S. and China, before the earth "got used up", so the English-speaking world we see on Firefly is very heavily influenced by China. Hence Chinese expressions, the "Asian" infused dress and decor we saw in the ball episode "Shindig", and other numerous smaller references.

The meaning of the Chinese can usually be gleaned just from context or the actor's expression. There are a lot of Firefly websites now providing translations too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.