Firefly 11/15/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

With a sprinkle of Mission Impossible theme music mentally playing in my head, the gang is persuaded by Simon to smuggle River into a medical center so Simon can get some info on what's going on with River internally. Toss in some betrayal, some scary dudes with the blue sticks that seem to cause brain hemorrhages, some spray paint, some medical loot, and you got yourself an episode of Firefly, amazingly enough.

What's sort of cool about this show is that it can change locale on a dime, and not be a big deal. The locale serves the story that needs telling. Not many shows can claim this.

While it was a good episode, I don't think it totally rocked. Now we know that River has her fear suppressors in her brain removed, she has less capacity to stifle fear, and is a empath/receptor of other people's intentions and thoughts, all due to the brain surgery performed on her while she was at the "special" school.

Is the Shepherd still recovering somewhere? Inari was only in like 20 seconds of this episode. I liked how Malcom dealt with the traitor.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, Book is off meditating

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oops, forgot the obligatory Chinese translation.

I only remember one, but I'll review the tape for others:

"Nee how" = "How are you?" or literally "You, good?"

"Mei mei" was covered last week (little sister).

4. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

The more I watch it the more it is starting to click.
    If only FOX had shown them in order.

Malcolm runs a pretty tight ship.

5. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

A very good episode. I seem to remember a similar scenario in a Sci-Fi movie with Gary Sinese(sp?). The one where his wife had been replicated by an alien.

Anyway, the characters keep growing. We keep seeing that unlike certain ST captains Malcolm actually has some nuts. I wasn't sure about him but he's really starting to get the quiet authority aura.

The building of the ship was a bit A-team'ish. But I can forgive that on account of how well the rest of the episode worked.

Still trying to work out how Malcolm knew. It's not like he was there or we were told they picked up details from the security communications.

It would have been son much better to see these in order.

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I liked this ep quite a bit. I think Malcolm took an educated gamble on Jayne's(sp?) guilt.

7. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I missed it AGAIN!!! This time I actually remembered to start recording, but while I was away, my dad switched channels!! *GRRRRRR*!!!

Brian

8. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Another great episode, I love the inner dynamic of the crew. SO, lets just wait for the ratings.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

This show's just all kinds of good, isn't it? We finally got to see a spiffy, seriously high-tech world (nice job on the FX and design, although those 20th-century [English!] "Exit" signs stood out. I guess if it ain't broke...). Lots of good action, and it's also a perfect example of how to do a good self-contained epsiode while also moving the larger story forward.

My one complalint is the end; Jayne really should have been spaced. We've been talking on the "Buffy" and "Angel" threads about how Mutant Enemy has a couple weaknesses (keeping characters around when they really would logically be written out; keeping unnecessary secrets), and that scene sort of hit both of them didn't it?

Still, pretty thoroughly great. Really gives the lie to certain Trek apologists' claims that shows like "Enterprise" need a year to settle in.

10. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

11. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Remember what River said when they heard the screaming? "Two by two..Hands of blue".

And with Mal sparing Jayne. I think he meant for him to die. But, when Jayne asks him not to tell the others what he did. Mal realized that maybe Jayne was remorseful and was concerned how the others may think of him.

13. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Still trying to work out how Malcolm knew.

My guess is that the doctor mentioned that the plans had changed (off camera), and that Jaine had led them to the back door to go out. This triggered Mal's suspicions, and he asked him about why he went that way as we saw.

14. Jeff Kleist

Actually, Mal's a pretty bright guy. He knew that the only way the Feds were going to show is if they got ratted, and that they always snag the rat-or along with the rat-ee

15. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

The blue stick weapons caused more than cranial bleeding. The agent that Simon had talked to was also bleeding from the fingertips.

Aside from the question of how the blue hand group survived, it seemed almost like it used ultrasound to dissolve the body's tissue.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Zap2it.com reports that Firefly didn't lose or gain ground Friday, with a 2.9/5 rating. Clearly, those who watch the show are a loyal bunch, but it isn't bringing anyone new into the fold. John Doe posted a moderate gain to 4.1/7, beating ABC standbys Drew Carey and Whose Line? for third. Fox execs, who gave 'Doe' their first full season pickup for the year, and no doubt happy about this news.NOTE: These are the fast track numbers, with final results still pending

18. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

two words... jewel staite! [​IMG] [​IMG] :b

19. Jeff Kleist

The show HAS demonstrated a loyal audience, it DOES hold its numbers. I do think the show will do much better in foreign markets, and perhaps Fox will have a heart for one of their greatest talents and give him 2 seasons like they did James Cameron.

20. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor