What's new

Firefly 11/07 (1 Viewer)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
God, I hope this show will continue. We got our first macrostory episode today. It would have been shown earlier if it wasn't for Fox screwing with the episode order.
The episode started with a Buffy/Angel style "Previously" intro which shows a lot of stuff out of the unaired pilot.
We learn more about River's and Simon's past in some great flashbacks. We also get to know that Book seems to be more than just a normal preacher (or preachers are very higly regarded in the Alliance).
I liked the episode a lot, the mixture of sci-fi and western stuff was well balanced although I am sure some of you will have problems with the latter as always. :) The only thing that bugged me was that they seem to make the guns sound different. The first shooting was weired because of that, well perhaps they are trying to make the sound more futuristic, didn't work for me though. If I see a Colt or other projectile weapon is has to make *Booom* and not *Swush*.

Apart from that, another great episode of my now favorite TV Show (well, tied with Buffy and Angel :)). I hope Serenity will keep flying.
edit: There is a nice article by Jane Espenson on the offical Firefly page. She describes the writing process on a Joss Whedon show. You will find it here.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Adam, you know how long it will take until a German station is picking up Firefly? I have to have my sources to get it earlier. We are always one season behind with Buffy and Angel, how else can I participate in discussions with you without getting spoiled half a year in advance? :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode was written by Drew Greenberg, who I think wrote the Anya episode from a couple of weeks ago on Buffy. I like the guy's style.
Bits of Chinese I think I picked up:
Simone calls the crew of Serenity "chou chou quiy len" which sounds to me to be "beggars and fakers", which is why Kaylee got mad at him in the country store.
Simone calls River "mei mei" which is "sister" in Chinese.
I didn't quite get what his father said to him in Chinese when he bailed out Simon. Maybe it was something like "You ungrateful son of mine". :D Just kidding, I'll review the tape later.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This episode was written by Drew Greenberg, who I think wrote the Anya episode from a couple of weeks ago on Buffy
Nope, that was new Jossian prodigy Drew Goddard formerly of Six Feet Under, set to take his place among the high eschelon of Buffy writers :) If Firefly surives, I would say it's likely that's where he'll be headed
Great episode tonight, and next week, bwaaahh that looks fantastic!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ah, Greenberg wrote "Smashed", "Older and Far Away" and "Entropy" from Buffy season 6. Too many Drews.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, a couple more translations:

Young Simon says (hee hee) "Dah Bien Hwah" to his dad, he's saying "That's great news" even though it's literally "That's big talk". (But "Dah Bien" also means "to defecate" with a bit of intonation changes)

When Simon said "Luh-suh Serenity" he's basically saying "Sorry ass Serenity" (I think).

I couldn't make out Simon's insult of the captain at all.

Summer's Chinese pronounciation is pretty bad, I couldn't really make out (after she knocks away Simon's medical kit) "Liou coe shway duh biou-tze huh hoe-tze duh er-tze", but I'd guess she says "I don't want what's in the box of the son." I'm really guessing.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Another good episode. It really makes me wonder how good that pilot was. Lots of stuff going on and starting to build future threads. Hopefully it can stick around.

Diana M

Agent
I enjoyed that episode, I was hoping the leader of that nasty group was going to give Jayne a reason to take him out

Drew Z. Greenberg also wrote Him, which aired last Tuesday

Diana

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I forgot to set my VCR to record tonights episode :frowning:
Anyone know if it'll reair before next week?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Of the episodes I've seen, I think I like this one the best. A very nice mix of thing. I thought the witchcraft bit at the end was a bit over the top but other than that, I thought the episode was excellent.

Next week's episode is shaping up to be a real winner.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
with FOX's "Firefly" bringing up the rear at 2.9/5.
I'm hoping FOX has faith in the show. :frowning:
Hopefully after the 2 hour pilot it will pick up more viewers, but FOX has to realize that people are now wondering "Did I miss an episode? It looks like it was important. I'll wait for the summer re-runs." or "I won't bother now."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The strange thing is, the show really didn't need that clip package at the front - not much in there that wasn't either re-iterated during the show or unnecessary - but it made you feel like you'd missed something.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I really like this show. Each episode is getting better.

I just think Friday night is not the best night for it, do to it being Friday night. Alot of people go out Friday nights so its not a big TV night. I know My wife and I didn't used to watch TV on Friday night. NOt sure what day would be good.

Saw the discussion a while back no this very topic, My vote would be for Sunday before Angel.

Have they showed the first episode yet. I seemed to have missed that one. They didn't start the show in order, and I've missed at least one episode. The first episode they showed was with them in a Bar in the "wild west" and they get chased out of it and the ship comes up from the canyon, ala "Aliens". was this everyone elses first episode also?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Have they showed the first episode yet. I seemed to have missed that one. They didn't start the show in order, and I've missed at least one episode. The first episode they showed was with them in a Bar in the "wild west" and they get chased out of it and the ship comes up from the canyon, ala "Aliens". was this everyone elses first episode also?
That was the first episode to air.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Right, I'm talking about the first episode in the shows timeline, not reality.
And yes Angle, the new fishing show, thats what I was talking about.:rolleyes

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'm pretty sure that was episode 3.

Serenity (the 2 hour pilot) is the first 2 episodes.

So it goes like this.

the left is the correct production order
the right is when they aired.

1.01 - Serenity (1 of 2) - Unaired (airing in December)
1.02 - Serenity (2 of 2) - Unaired (airing in December)
1.03 - The Train Job - 1st Aired
1.04 - Bushwacked - 2nd Aired
1.05 - Shindig - 6th Aired
1.06 - Safe - 7th Aired
1.07 - Our Mrs. Reynolds - 3rd Aired
1.08 - Jaynestown - 4th Aired
1.09 - Out of Gas - 5th Aired
1.10 - Ariel - 8th Aired
1.11 - War Stories - 9th Aired
1.12 - Heart of Gold - 10th Aired
1.13 - ....??? -

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks