What's new

Firefly-10/11/2002 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be great tonight...

Oh wait, that's right? Baseball's inability to just play one game playoffs means we don't get Firefly tonight! 4 episodes in and pre-empting is not a way to build an audience!

If the ratings slip further, and it kills Firefly (I'm expecting it to be pre-empted most of the rest of the month, we all know who to thank

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If the ratings slip further, and it kills Firefly (I'm expecting it to be pre-empted most of the rest of the month, we all know who to thank
People with short attention spans who missed the "IN TWO WEEKS"? Or the people who watch the baseball and aren't interested in the promos Fox inevitably puts in?

Part of the reason Fox paid good money to become the MLB Network in October is that it's a chance to promote its fall schedule. Just relax, enjoy one of the most exciting and unpredictable postseasons in years, and remember that this is also a couple of weeks in winter and spring that won't have reruns when every other network does.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A one-game playoff would make the outcome of baseball championships far too random. I like 'Firefly' and baseball, and I have no problem with television schedules being modified to fit the playoffs. And regardless, isn't wanting everything in the world to revolve around your own personal interests a little selfish? If you are pissed, blame Fox, not baseball. Fox could have held 'Firefly' until after the World Series (like S2 of 24).

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Does Fox actually still want to carry MLB? I thought everyone who touched it lost money... Didn't one network pay millions to get out of their contract? Hmmm. Maybe it was a Canadian network...

Martin.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Just relax, enjoy one of the most exciting and unpredictable postseasons in years,
Man throws ball, man either hits or does not hit ball. Unpredictable. Much more so than a quality written narrative of course

Sorry, Professional sports have killed way too many great Sci-Fi shows. They can miss the beginning, it's the same thing as what happens later anyway, and if something amazing happens there is a miracle known as "replay"

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Professional sports have killed way too many great Sci-Fi shows. They can miss the beginning, it's the same thing as what happens later anyway, and if something amazing happens there is a miracle known as "replay"
You do realize that you're coming off as a completely selfish short-for-Richard, right?

Look, part of the appeal of professional sports is that they are live, that what you are seeing is something that has been worked toward for months, and that you are sharing the experience with millions of other fans of the game throughout the area, country, or world. The game itself is a major part of the appeal, but so is the camaraderie.

You don't like it. Fine. You think sports has killed too many "great" SFTV shows (although I can't see many SF shows other than "Max Headroom", "StarCops", and maybe "Babylon 5" and "Farscape" earning the "great" designation). I think you'd have a tough time showing cause and effect. But the world doesn't revolve around you, more people want baseball than "Firefly" this week, and there may actually be benefits to having Fox promote the show during the games, so suck it up and stop whining.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why is he selfish for wanting Firefly? The fact is, baseball will go on no matter what. If people can't find a show, it's dead. Some people like baseball; other people like scifi shows. Why should those that prefer sci-fi be declared selfish for expressing their views?

I mean, what are ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, etc. for if not to show such things as sports games?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Then stick "Firefly" on the Sci-Fi channel, and let Fox do what Fox does best... reality TV shows about angry animals doing autopsies on hunky Alaskan bachelors. :wink:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why should those that prefer sci-fi be declared selfish for expressing their views?
Because the zealots like Jeff have such tunnel-vision that they can't seem to handle something so minor as this - a one-week pre-emption that was specifically referenced during the previews last week, and will probably expose a larger audience to advertising for "Firefly" - which, by the way, has fared extraordinarily well in terms of not being bumped for baseball this year; ask fans of "Fastlane" if they have any sympathy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And, hey, you might just as well ask why network TV should run "Firefly", when there are channels such as Sci-Fi and Showtime Beyond.
I wouldn't mind that at all, except for the fact that I know they wouldn't be able to afford the budgets for such shows. Baseball, however, is relatively inexpensive to put on with all the other sources of revenue. The biggest costs are the exorberant broadcast rights fees. But if they didn't have those, they couldn't work for $30 million or so a season a nd they'd have to strike again.;)
I'm sorry for not being sympathetic to baseball fans, of which I know there are many. But I've already seen sports kill Futurama, and I'm afraid that sports will kill Firefly before it gets a chance to prove itself. And then we have to wait until November for best returning shows to start, and then keep track of when Fox schedules the suplemental episodes at a different time to play catchup. I appeciate that their are a larger number of baseball fans than intelligent scifi fans, but forgive me when I say I was hoping they would strike. Killing off a league and building up a new one is perhaps just what a stagnant sport needs. And we'd have gotten a season on Fox that starts at the normal time, too.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Exactly. It wasn't sports that killed Futurama but the scheduling. Personally I'd much rather watch Firefly tonight than some bunch of steroid abusing stuck-up cry baby millionaires play a child's game, but hey thats the way it goes. At least the BB will be over soon, right? PLease tell me the season is almost over!

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I think that this thread can only get better if we mix sports with the definition of science fiction. Is Baseball truly science fiction?

Phil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"This, too, shall pass."

...like the andouille sausage I had in my plate of jambalaya the other day...

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
Jason Seaver said:

But the world doesn't revolve around you, more people want baseball than "Firefly" this week, and there may actually be benefits to having Fox promote the show during the games, so suck it up and stop whining.
Yes, I agree with you, completly. It does come across as somewhat tiresome after a certain point. Especially all the Joss Whedon fanatic statements. There are simply a LOT more sports fans than SCI-FI and that's fact. I like some SCI-FI, but I also love Baseball and Football so I really don't mind. You always have DVDs too. Sorry, but I just don't care and like to watch the sports shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks