What's new

Fire TV Cube 4K or Apple TV 4K or ? for playback (1 Viewer)

ArizonaRhodes

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Rhodes
I am setting up a new home theater and need help on what playback hardware/content to use, Fire TV cube or Apple TV 4K or ?
My receiver will be a MARANTZ SR6014 9.2 and speakers are Klipsch Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 sound with a JVC NX5 projector

I plan to be mostly viewing Netflix, Amazon video's, and have not decided between Hulu +TV or YouTube TV for local channels and movies

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Amazon devices have a few restrictions on which apps they support, if I recall -- someone else correct me if I am wrong. The Apple TV 4K is one of the few devices that supports Dolby Vision, but I assume your projector doesn't do DV. The Apple device costs quite a bit more than most other streaming devices -- last I checked it was $180.

I would suggest checking out Roku's devices. Their Premiere 4K is only $40, and includes the proper HDMI cable to support 4K + HDR10. Their Ultra model has a few more features, but costs twice the price. For the content you listed, I don't think it makes sense to pay the premium price for the Apple product.

Personally, I have one Apple TV 4K and one Roku Ultra (an older model) installed in our main home theater, one Roku Premiere 4K attached to the Samsung 4K display in our master bedroom, and Roku Express models attached to three 1080p displays in various other rooms.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to toss in another factor to consider. The Apple TV 4K will most likely remain totally usable through two or three generations of Roku units, since they're so aggressive with updating firmware and software, plus the 4K has an extremely powerful processor. They aren't like iPhones, where Apple wants to pressure you to replace them every couple of years.

Just food for thought. I have a Gen3 AppleTV that's gotta be at least ten years old that I still use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks