Fire in the hole!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasC, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. ThomasC

    ThomasC Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2001
    Messages:
    6,526
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    What a week...

    First this, and 30 minutes ago, a can of Coke exploded in my "refrigerator." I put a 12 pack of Cokes in the fridge, and I put some in the back, where the temperature is colder, thus slush forms. I had never had trouble with cans exploding in a fridge before, even when I had put them in the back, so I thought nothing of it. I knew the consequences of frozen Coke in a bottle or can, because when I was a kid, I was tired of drinking warm Coke (no room in the fridge, but why didn't I think of ice cubes? oh well), so I put all the bottles of Coke in the freezer, and later on...Coke go boom boom. [​IMG] I don't remember the incident, but my mom told me about it later on for some reason or another. Anyways...anyone else have experiences with pop exploding in the fridge/freezer? [​IMG]
     
  2. Leila Dougan

    Leila Dougan Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2002
    Messages:
    1,352
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    No experiences with soda. . but I do have some with shattering glass.

    Last week I was cooking dinner, and there was a pyrex casserole dish sitting on the stove because I don't have enough counter space. I was cooking something in a pan and accidentally turned on the wrong burner. A few minutes later, there's a loud explosion and glass all over my kitchen. Good think I had my back to the stove, I can't imagine what would have happened had I been standing right in front of it.
     
  3. MikeAlletto

    MikeAlletto Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2000
    Messages:
    2,369
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I exploded a can of coke in the freezer before. Only did it once though, it was a major mess to clean up.
     
  4. Nathan Patrick

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2000
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I had the lightbulb in the oven explode on me once. I was using oven cleaner (didn't cover the light) and I had my head in the over applying the cleaner, well I sprayed the lightbulb....Next thing I know, it blew up on me. Luckily none of it went in my eye or anything. I was pretty lucky as some of the glass even blew out the oven.

    Note to self: Unscrew lightbulb or cover it like they say when cleaning oven.
     
  5. Ted Lee

    Ted Lee Lead Actor

    Joined:
    May 8, 2001
    Messages:
    8,390
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    you know those stand-alone wood-burning iron stoves? the kind with cast-iron hinges and locking mechanisms.

    you know binaca? that stuff you spray in your mouth?

    never ever, put the binaca in the stove.

    it blew so hard it actually bent the iron hinge and half-blew the door open.

    i tell ya it scared the hell out of us....

    [​IMG]
     
  6. Chuck C

    Chuck C Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2001
    Messages:
    2,224
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    we need to get you out of the dorms! [​IMG]
     
  7. Jon_Are

    Jon_Are Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2001
    Messages:
    2,036
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  8. Ted Lee

    Ted Lee Lead Actor

    Joined:
    May 8, 2001
    Messages:
    8,390
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    [​IMG] i'm here for you jon!
     
  9. BrianW

    BrianW Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 1999
    Messages:
    2,563
    Likes Received:
    38
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Real Name:
    Brian
    Ted, do you have any advice about whether I should handle scorpions?
     
  10. Armando Zamora

    Armando Zamora Second Unit

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 1998
    Messages:
    307
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I was boiling a couple eggs the other day in a covered sauce pan. Forgot all about them until I heard a boom!!!. Don't know how it happened, but my hard-boiled eggs ended up splattered all over the kitchen ceiling. For the past couple days now, it smells like someone let out a big friggin' stinky sulfur fart in my kitchen.
     
  11. Eric_E

    Eric_E Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2002
    Messages:
    512
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Leila:

    That same exact thing happened to my mom once. Glass Pyrex casserole dish, just exploded on a ceramic burner. Needless to say we didn't eat the food that was in the dish. :wink:
     
  12. Mike Voigt

    Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 1997
    Messages:
    799
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Put an egg in a microwave sometime, and cook it for a while. Fascinating. Remember, it only happens because the egg is bad!!!

    [​IMG]

    Mike
     
  13. Khoa Tran

    Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2002
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    i've had glasses of water (hot summer) in the freezer exploding, coke exploding, i caught my microwave on fire, i caught my oven on fire, i've caused a grease fire while cooking country fried chicken...just a few things =)
     
  14. Jeffrey Noel

    Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2001
    Messages:
    1,533
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Mike, I've done the egg in the microwave bit before. I took it out and the freakin' thing exploded. Sad thing is is that it left a welt underneath my right eye. Thank goodness though. It would have been very difficult to tell people that I lost my eye to an egg! [​IMG]
     
  15. Philip_G

    Philip_G Producer

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2000
    Messages:
    5,030
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    if you have one of those little dorm reefers that'll happen sometimes if you pack them to tight. I have one in my theater room and have had that happen
     
  16. ThomasC

    ThomasC Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2001
    Messages:
    6,526
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  17. Philip_G

    Philip_G Producer

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2000
    Messages:
    5,030
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    too close to the cooling coil, perhaps. Those little guys just don't cool evenly. Mine isn't even good to keep pop cool really.
     
  18. StephenA

    StephenA Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2001
    Messages:
    1,512
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    One time when I was cleaning an aquarium, I forgot to unplug the heater. While I was draining the water, i heard sizzling, then a sizzling/popping sound, and then a big pop, and looked in the tank to find the heater exploded. Luckily the fish weren't harmed, and I just vaccumed the glass out and put in an extra heater I had laying around. Needless to say I never forgot to unplug the heater again.

    Another time I was being stupid while camping, and threw an empty plastic soda bottle in a fire with the cap still on the bottle, thinking it'd melt. The air inside the bottle heated up quickly and blew up to the sound of a small grenade going off.
     
  19. Ryan Wright

    Ryan Wright Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2000
    Messages:
    1,875
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
     
  20. BrianW

    BrianW Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 1999
    Messages:
    2,563
    Likes Received:
    38
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Real Name:
    Brian
    I've been found out!

    How embarrassing! :b
     

Share This Page