What's new

Fiona Apple to re-record new album (1 Viewer)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001014692

I'm a big fan of her last CD, and have listened to the unreleased Extraordinary Machine, and was pretty dissapointed and underwhelmed. It sounded like she and producer Jon Brion were in a death struggle in which Apple was trying to get her songs heard through the oppressive production. I loved his production of the last CD, but I just couldn't absorb the songs here. Sounds like she agrees and has gone back to the drawing board. That, or Sony broke her will...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! I'm glad that I was able to get the MP3s for the original version. Personally, I love the new album and think it's one of the best albums of the past year.

Hopefully, she's doing this because she wants to and not because SONY wants her to.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Good article, and nice to know there's actually a date attached to the release. I liked the leaked tracks, but am certainly interested in hearing something "Fiona-approved."

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
What F'ing kind of producer is that??? :confused:

I mean, the first rule of any producer should be to satisfy the artist - if not, then you're a really shitty producer imo...

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I'm a big fan of the original version and I'm very skeptical of this story.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Me three! Fiona is very quirky, but I find it a bit hard to believe that she couldn't make a simple statement after all of the effort that was put in to the "Free Fiona" campaign earlier this year. It's also a bit peculiar that there will be several new tracks (i.e. to keep the people with the MP3s from not needing to buy the new version).

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Fiona's website has some video clips up and such. The "Not About Love" video has Zach from Late World with Zach and Tru Calling. I look forward to this album, which is apparently coming out on dual disc as well...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This week's Entertainment Weekly has an interview with Apple on the true story behind the album's release.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For those of you who haven't signed up on her site her myspace profile has the entire album streaming:

http://www.myspace.com/fionaapple

So far my impression is it's less bombastic than the Brion recordings, resulting in things seeming less angry/confrontational/in-your-face.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I saw Fiona as opener for Coldplay in Louisville, Kentucky last night. She didn't get to play long, 40 minutes tops. The two songs she did from EM sounded SO much better than they come off on the grubby soundin' CD I have of it. A Better Version Of Me was really fresh sounding live.

She played piano on the first 3 songs. Then she stood up and sang with her bass, drums, and 2 keyboard players backing her. I think she only did two song off her new album...? Her show was foefully abbreviated.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
WOW where was I at? I didn't even know she was playing here last night.

So Rachael are you a Louisville local or just passing through?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Bobby, I'm back in Knoxville where I live tonight. It was bootiful day for driving today. You should'a been at Freedom Hall thursday eve!:)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I wish I would have been there. I'm usually better about keeping up with local concerts. Yesterday was a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks