finishing my box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Jan 4, 2003.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

ok I've finished my mid Q sealed tempest box and covered it with parts express vinyl, the box seems sturdy I used finshing nails to hold the sides in place and then i used wood glue and 3/16" diameter 1 1/2" long dowels for a good hold and of course I used wood glue on edges and I caluked inside edges as well as I could,

When i drill holes for the tnuts should I worry about air leaking around the drilled hole or not, I'm gonna use closed cell foam around the driver edge but I'm just worried about the small holes, also does the AVA250 come with a sealer around the sides or do I need some more foam to seal it, also does anyone know how long the wires are that come off the plate amp, I"m thinking I may have to extend them for installing ease

2. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

bump

3. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

I put wood glue around the top part of the t-nut flange to seal it as best I could.
    Be careful to avoid squirting glue into the thread hole of the t-nut and wait for the glue to dry before screwing stuff into the t-nut.
    I think if you check Pat's page he has some photos of this process. Here I found one:
    http://www.patcave.com/sunosub3/124-3776.jpg
    Better yet, visit his whole site as he has some great shots of the process of making his three subs:
    www.patcave.com
    Good luck
    Robin

4. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

ok i was just playing around with the tnuts I got and the bolts I got separately from Lowe's, they are both 10-24 size but the bolt won't go in all the way into the nut, i tried several different nuts and bolts, I'm about to just use 3/4" wood screws and forget the tnuts

5. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Don't skip the t-nuts! Bring a t-nut with you to the hardware store and find a match. Ask for - gasp! - help if you have to. There are people here who have succesfully used wood screws, but it is more prone to disaster than the t-nuts. Especially if you want to take the driver off ever.

Robin

6. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have allways used corse thread wood screws they work great make a very i mean like a 1/32 pilot whole or smaller. and all you have to do is to not over tighten the screws. i always use a hand screwdriver when installing my screws for my subs.

7. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

well i picked up some #8 1" long wood screws while I was grocery shopping at Wal Mart that I think I'm gonna use, I don't plan on taking the driver out ever so I gonna say screw the tnuts, they seem kinda coarse thread but have about a 1/4" smooth area toward the head of the screw but I suppose that won't matter too much ,I can't wait till the sub comes

8. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

one more question since i'm gonna use wood screws i wanna make sure that the sub and amp is working ok before I install them since I don't wanna remove them for a few years, so can i just hook up the sub to the amp while its sitting on the ground so I know they're working, I know it won't sound right I just wanna make sure they're working but I don't wanna mess them up

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Sure, you can hook up the driver to the amp, just be careful not to turn up the amp volume, keep it low and just make sure it is working, because in free air, the driver won't perform like it does in an enclosure.

10. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

If you don't plan on taking the driver out of the enclosure, t-nuts may be more trouble than they're worth. And the last batch of t-nuts I got at Parts Express were screwed up (figuratively speaking); the threads were not tapped properly through the female part, causing the same problem you described. I say screw 'em (again figuratively)... wood screws should do the job. The worst thing that happens is you strip the wood screws, then drill them out and use t-nuts anyways.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

12. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

what gain setting should i set the amp on once its in the enclosure? I'm planning on defeating the amp crossover and letting the receiver do the work.