Finishing my AV 1's need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,

I'm about to finish my AV 1's. I ordered the kit on Sunday. I went ahead and had them pre build crossover networks for me. I just have two more questions. First I know Danny says to solder the wires to the speaker terminals but I really suck at soldering thats why I had them make the crossovers for me. I'm afraid I might damage the speakers if I solder the wire directly to the speaker terminals. Is it ok for me to use disconnects instead? I know it's supposed to degrade to signal but how bad could it be I mean the banana plugs I have going from the receiver and to the speakers are just cheapo connectors. Will using disconnects make an audible difference? Second, I'm wondering if it's ok to use Kitchen & Bath adhesive Caulk to seal the inside of my enclosures. It says it's got something special that makes it mildew resistant. Will the fumes hurt the speakers or anything? Thanks.

Ryan

2. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

Not sure about the disconnects, but you'll want to get silicone to seal the box up. I usually just buy whatever is cheapest. You might want to read the directions in the back. The last one I bought cures in 7-14 days. Way too long. There are some that cure in a day or less.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

You can probably go with construction adhesive. It'll cure faster and doesn't have those nasty fumes that can damage drivers.

I use quick disconnects for all my speaker assembly. It's just a personal preference of mine. I just fired up my A/V-1+'s tonight and they are simply awesome! Definitely worth the extra price over the A/V-1's!

4. Awesome brian.....so...when are you going to send me my AV+1's [​IMG] I will let you use MY speakers for a little bit longer....maybe a couple more days, but I EXPECT you to ship them to me by the weeks end [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to use disconects for the drivers. I just noticed that the caulking may be silicone. Here is what the back said "KWIK Seal Plus caulking is a professional grade formula with carefully blended silicone additves" does that mean it's silicone? I'm really excited about getting my speakers. I don't have them yet but hopefully they will be up and running by the end of this week.

Ryan

6. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Brian- Glad you got them together before next weekend! Can't wait to here them compaired to the A/V-1s!

Ronnie

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ronnie,

I was noticing that I was hearing what sounded like some sort of vibration or rattle coming from the speakers. Turns out, I was hearing what seems to be the vibration of the reed on a saxophone! They're nowhere near broken in yet of course, but I can already tell why the A/V-1+'s are Danny's favorite!

I'm so blown away at how good the cherry finish turned out I can't stand it. I couldn't get much done in the shop today because I kept going back over to check out the finish!

Brian

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've used the exact caulking stuff you are talking about on speakers that are a couple years old and they still work perfect.
    I honestly think that disconnects would work fine, just make sure they're secure. I soldered mine of course, you can see pictures of my sloppy looking crossover at this Gallery. It did take me a couple hours assembling 4 crossovers and it is especially not easy with the fluxless solder provided in the kit. Imagine trying to solder 3 seperate wires to another and then finding a way to heat shrink it... not gonna happen..
    It would also have been nice to have a good soldering station but my Weller 40 watt did well and I was careful.

9. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

You keep going on and on about this new finish; how about some pictures! I'll be finishing some cherry cabinets soon, what type of poly did you use?

George

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

George,
    I'll get some pics up in a few days. I want to get them as nice as possible to put up on my site so I'll use some sort of back drop and try to get some decent lighting.
    Concerning the poly, it's a wipe on product only available at unfinished furniture stores, and it's usually sold under the store's name. The company that makes it is called Old Dad's. They can tell you if there's a store near you that sells their products.
    Brian

11. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

(oops. I was away from my desk and came back and posted this. Brian answered the question before I posted...)

I was also wondering when some pics were going to show up!

rf

12. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

Your order went out today. Your networks are assembled and each wire lead is labled. Just put liquid nails or silicon on the bottom of the inductors and bond the network to the floor of the enclosure. The smaller foil inductor will need to be placed at the back of the enclosure right in front of the binding post cup.

See the wiring diagram to confirm orientation.

If you do not want to solder the connections it will be okay.

If I would have had any spade connectors I would have thrown them in, but I did not.

Buy you an assortment of sizes to use. In a couple of places there are two runs of 16 gauge wire that come together for one connection. You will need the larger (typically Yellow) connections to take the larger twisted pairs. You can use the smaller (typically blue) connectors for the rest of them.

I went ahead and tinned the wire to minimize oxidation for you. Just clamp the spade connectors right onto the tinned wire.

If you need anything else or have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

13. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Brian,

I sent old Dad an e-mail for a local dealer.

George

14. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I went ahead and used the kitchen & bath caulking. It seemed to work fine. I have one question about putting the crossover on the bottom of the enclosure. Would it be possible to use Velcro instead of silicon caulking? It would be a lot less messy and it would not be permanent then. What do you think?

Ryan

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

When I built my A/V-1's I glued the components down to a piece of 1/4" masonite and then used velco strips to hold the board down. I really only did this in case I decided to build new cabinets for them down the road.

Brian

16. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Could I just put a strip or two of velcro on the inductor to hold it to the bottom. Or do I need to glue it to a board like you did? The enclosures I built are Sonically sound but I would not be able to finish them nicely because there are a few places that the joints don't meet exactly. If I ever decide I want to make bookshelf speakers I could build a nicer enclosure and just move the crossover like you said. Thanks

Ryan

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,
    That might be OK if you aren't toting them around all over the place. BTW, what problems did you have with the enclosure? If there's some overhang you should be able to trim that off.
    BTW, did your buddy, Nathan, ever get his Dayton speakers done?
    Now go to bed! You've got to get up early for school! [​IMG]
    Brian

18. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Brian,
    The enclosures where not square in some places so my Grandpa and I sanded them down. The problem is we got a little sand happy and over did it so there are a few dips. I could build it up with wood filler but it's just not worth the trouble. I don't think I will be moving the speakers around any so I will give the velcro a try. Nathan doesn't have his speakers finished yet. I think he just had his uncle cut the baffles for him but I'm not sure. Who knows when or even if he will finish his speakers.
    BTW, I'm home schooled so I don't have to get up till 10:00 [​IMG]
    Ryan

19. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I got my speakers today! I hooked up one side to take a quick listen before I caulked the port tube. They sound awesome! I compared them to my current speakers (old realistic bookshelves) there is absolutely no comparison. The realistics sounded muffled and all the instruments sounded smushed together. The AV 1's reproduced ever instrument really clearly and I seemed like every instrument was separated. Now I just have to wait for the caulking to dry and I can hook them up again.

BTW I did notice something weird about the woofers, on the surrounds one says M-30 and the other says M17 is this normal?

Ryan

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

Glad to see you got them all hooked up! BTW, on my A/V-1+'s I have two woofers with M31 on them, one with M02, and one with M15.

Brian