Finishing basement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tibor Nagy, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Tibor Nagy

Tibor Nagy Auditioning

HI

I am finsihing off half of my basement. The other half is laudry, workshop area. As you go downstairs there will be a heavy type masonite door(to seperate the other side). The left side of the stairs will be open halfway(follow the contour of the stairs) down the stairs as you go down. The size of the room is about 30x16. But the HT area will really only be using about half of it. Now my question is I will have a drop ceiling do I want to insualte the ceiling(wood floors in the whole house)? I will also have recessed lights. Where is the the best place for them above tv, by viewing area, or in the middle pointing down or pointing towards the tv or viewing area? I thought about putting speaker jacks in the wall put I decided against it..I think! Mostly I am interested in sounproofing info. I read here someone used 90lb roofing material under the drywall...is that a good idea in a basement..I dont think that moisture can breathe through that.

Thanks

Denon 2803

Toshiba 36 HD

Toshiba Progessive scan Dvd

Scientfic Atlanta 3100HD

Main RF-3 II

Center Rc-3 II

rear Rs-3 II

svs model PB2-ISD

Sony Integrated Remote Commander

Monster Cable Home Theater POWERBAR

All wired with Monster cable

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Hi Tibor...I'm the guy that has 90lb roofing material in my walls and ceiling. I got my idea from www.acoustiblok.com...but didn't want to pay those prices. If you have water in your basement than you have bigger problems...but it works great at reducing sounds transmission, in fact the only thing anyone can ever hear and feel is the extremem LFE from our two SVS's...I'm happy with how things turned out.

Moisture doesn't breath through walls but rather through the cracks in them...but if you have a damp basement than what you need is a dehumidifier and you'll be all set! [​IMG]

E

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I used Armstrong's acoustical tiles in my drop ceiling. I was really impressed how well they deadened the room and blocked sound from coming up into the kitchen. I didn't insulate above that... of course, I'm not a "reference-level" type of guy so, that seemed like overkill to me.

Erik brings up a good point though, very little will stop extreme LFE. I still get some things rattling upstairs when I crank things up... it's unavoidable. [​IMG]

4. Brett Sw

Brett Sw Agent

Tibor...Here's my experience, I recently finished our basement (26x13). I'm talking concrete walls/floors and open floor joists up above. I'd suggest rethinking running the speaker wire inside the wall. It makes for a much cleaner install, plus it doesn't seem like you'll be moving the furniture and HTS around once you get it set. More to my point...I framed all the walls so I made sure the were dead on square and sturdy, insulated every wall in the basement and went with 5/8" drywall for the ceiling instead of 1/2". The woofer still rattles the dishes upstairs but it seems to have helped tame the mids and highs. Also, I installed 6 can lights and 2 eyball light in the ceiling and haven't had one overheat and shut off yet. Have you thought about framing off the HT area from the work area and using a solid core door?

5. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

Tibor, I also used the 90lb roofing material like Erik did and also insulated between the joist. I don't have a subwoofer yet (my next purchase) but for now, the only sound that comes out is through the non-sealed door leading upstairs. All I'll have to do is seal that and it should be golden. My ht is in my basement and no sound is heard at all on the second floor.

6. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Bret, do you have any pictures of your theater now and during construction.. I am in the process of finishing the basement and am planning on the insulation as well.

thanks

jim

7. Tibor Nagy

Tibor Nagy Auditioning

Thanks for the responses..I dont have water in the basement, but where I live in jersey gets very muggy during the summer. I noticed some mildew growing in the corners. I primed the walls and stuck a dehumidifier in the basement should do the trick. I reason I was back and forth with the wiring in the wall with speaker jacks was not so much for the front and centers, but the rears I thought with the rears mounted on the walls that the jacks would be in the way when mounting..I guess it depends on how reccessed they are. I plan on wiring for the center in the back and just maybe have the wiring linger in the drop ceiling till I need it. I might try the 90lb felt trick though.

Thanks

Oh yes I do plan on putting a solid core do between the work area and ht room. I probably will insulate the ceiling too. Too bad my furnace sits directly behind the couch on the other side of the wall. Maybe I can put some soundproofing wall board on that side!

8. Brett Sw

Brett Sw Agent

Jim...Sorry man, I sure wish I had some before, during and after pictures, but to this date I don't have a Dig Cam. But here's my diatribe...I prefer the 5/8" on the ceiling instead of drop-style. My preferrence was soley for the 4-6" of headroom you save. But my suggestions would be...
    * Run wire, conduit and plumbing to expected locations and even to future locations if you ever think you'll rearrange the room
    * Insulate...even interior walls
    * Felt paper (I wish I would have done it)[​IMG]
    * Dehumidifier (no sense in it smelling like Grandma's basement)
    * Details...Making it look like a pro carpenter did the job is not hard if you take your time, plan everything out in detail and measure twice/cut once.
    * Sketch...I have an overhead drawing of my basement detailing the measurement of every stud, wire, pipe, outlet, switch, junction box, fixture, backing plate, scabbed in board, etc...That way any future jobs won't require guessing wrong and ending up with several holes in the walls. I just remember that all measurements for the wall I am faciing are from left to right.

Well...I hope this helps. Jim...If you have an Email address you'd like me to use I can get some pics of the finished job w/in the next week and send them to you. Sorry for the novel...