What's new

Finishing Basement, relocate service panel or leave it? (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Finishing Basement, relocate service panel or leave it?

First, I post this question here because this is where most of the heavy duty construction goes on. There will be a HT in the basement but this question isn't directly related to it as the panel is in the area that will be the gym.

Let me see if I can explain my situation and question without confusion...

I currently have an unfinished basement and plan to start the finishing of it soon. The service panel is currently mounted to a large piece of plywood which is in turn anchored to my poured concrete foundation wall as I believe is standard.

My plans call for the exterior foundation walls to be insulated with 1" 4x8 sheets of XPS rigid foam insulation adhesed to the walls, with a standard stud wall then built to the interior side of that.

My concern is the service panel. Should I leave it as is and just insulate to the edges of it or the plywood, and frame an opening for access to it in the new stud wall (covered with an access door)? Or, should I pull the service panel lose, ditch the plywood, and mount the panel in the new stud wall as would be standard in a finished wall?

If I plan to remount it I guess I could stop the insulation at the plywood edges and after the wall is built and panel remounted I could try and slide some cut insulation panels behind the wall and service panel where it used to be mounted.

I am worried that if I plan to remount it there wont be enough slack in the existing wiring to move it out the 4-5 inches required, or that it will somehow be more difficult than imagined.

What is standard? Should I just leave it and avoid the trouble?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
My gut reaction is leave it where it is... although when I saw the header for the thread, I was afraid you were talking about really moving it - you know, 25 feet or so...

Leo

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Well, when I bought my house, the basement was already finished. The main panel is enclosed in a small cabinet on the wall, and there is insulation around the main panel within the cabinet, much like the scenario you described. I don't believe there is anything behind the actual service panel, and have no issues with heat from that corner as far as I have detected. Me being a resident of the "Great White North", insulation is important in the winter, and its just fine the way it is. For the record, my pc is beside said panel, and I never get a chill or anything from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks