What's new

Finishing basement...16x12 room big enough? (1 Viewer)

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

My wife and I are about to finish our basement, and I'm wondering if 16x12 is a big enough space for a home theater. Right now I've got a 36" Toshiba, but of course I'd like to upgrade at some point. Is that size a room too limiting? I could try to convince my wife that an area 19x12 is a more apropriate spot for the Home theater. So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Aaron

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, click on my Green Room link and see what I did with my 10x12 room.
Peace Out~:D

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Mine is 12 x 18. I could use more space, but I also could make do with less if I had to. My seating is closer to the screen than what some people consider ideal, but then my wife and I usually sit on the third row when we go out to see a movie. Of course, my seats aren't all the way back at the 18 foot distance, so I could fit the setup in 16 feet if I absolutely had to.

Good luck!

ace peterson

Second Unit
Mine is 19'x11'. I'm glad I have at least the 19', but I wish I had at least an extra 1-2' in width. It works out pretty well anyway. Get it as big as you can. You never know about your future EQ and set ups.

Ace

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you are planning to upgrade, would you consider front projection? That size of room is good for that kind of setup. But to answer your question, the room size is not too small.

RogerB

Second Unit
My room is 11x22 with front projector. Wish it was a little wider but it's fine the way it is.

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a 12 x 24 room with half being theatre half being computer/office space.

The 12' width I found was a little narrow to allow for decent seeting for more than 3 people.

Other than that length wise with 12 feet of room to work with I had no problems with size.

William_L

Grip
I was glad to hear that a 16 x 12 area is good enough. I just started redoing my basement, and the area I have to set up my 'play room' is about 18' x 12'9".
One question though, should I close this room of completely from the rest of the basement? The way I was going to do it is have a big walk in area from the other half of the basement (no door, just a big opening of about 8 ', diagonal to the 18 x 12'9 area) I know that probably didn't make sense, but it's hard to explain :)

RogerB

Second Unit
Here are a few reasons to make your theater a separate room: light control, sound control, other area can be used while theater is in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks