What's new

Finishing Baltic Birch (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone refer me to some sites where they made speakers out of baltic birch, and just stained/varnished them?

I once saw some speakers where the plys of the plywood was all exposed and it looked great.

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
I made the top and bottom of my sonotube out of baltic birch, then stained them with Mahogany stain. The looked great. I applied two coats then sanded lightly, then applied one more coat and it came out nice and smooth.
You'll have to let them sit while the stain is drying becuase if you don't, they'll wind up feeling sticky.
Here's, the link.
Tommy

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy that sub looked great. Did you put any kind of edging around the edge of that wood or is that raw plywood?

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I used the Baltic birch veneer edge banding from Home Depot. Just iron it on and sand the edges. Made for a really smooth, one piece look.

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Warrick...very good grasshopper!

After seeing the flush mount of the amp on your page, I just had to "borrow" it!

I didn't like the idea of having a separate box for the amp and didn't want the amp protruding through the back. I have to admit, I was going about the amp mounting all wrong until I saw your technique though.

That's why I did my cheapo, 30 minute page...paying it forward so to speak.

Tommy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks