Finishing a sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Ross, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

okay i know i am ahead of the game, seeing that i haven't even made a first cut into the MDF. But I am allready thinking about the finish on my sub.

So what are some good vanneers (SP?) i am looking for a dark red, with a nice oak, or mahogany. what sort of prices am i looking at? i will need about 28 square feet of it to cover my box.

will this be too costly for such a big box, should just go with a flat black?

what have you guys done to finish off your boxes?

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I finished my sub in auto carpet. It was cheap, quick, and easy. It looks pretty decent, certainly not as good as a nice veneer job but it got the job done.

3. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Allen, I decided to take the cheaper-than-full-veneer but slightly-nicer-than-all-flat-black route, and am going to finish the box itself in a satin black and add some nicely stained trim to that. Take a look at some of my options if you like at my pagehere and go to 'SUB'. Just my take on the issue though. The great thing about DIY is you can do anything you want! [​IMG]

4. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Allen,
    'Not sure what your definition of "too costly" is. I buy wood veneers locally (I typically use walnut --call me old fashioned) at about $25. for a 2'x8' sheet (easily rolled up). So it would take at least two of these for your box, depending on layout/waste. You might want to scratch out your cutting plan on a piece of paper, (taking into account the grain direction) to see if you can make it work with two . Others here buy their veneers on line from folks like tape ease. For me, veneer is actually a little easier than a paint finish, since a "real" furniture paint finish is about a 10-step process.
    Good luck

5. Allen Ross

where did you grab thoses sheets, localy? home depot? or over the net, thanks for link too.

6. Dave Milne

I don't think Home Depot carries veneers. All I've seen in the local Home Depot stores is iron-on veneer edgebanding (A useful product, but too expensive at Home Depot in their tiny 8-foot quantities). I buy my veneers, hardwoods, and edgebanding locally at McEwen Lumber, Stewart Hardwoods, or Woodworker's source.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Home Depot does sell veneer, but if you want anything other than red oak you're pretty much SOL. I buy my veneer from Tape-Ease because even with shipping they're roughly half the price of my local sources.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

9. Allen Ross

cool thanks a lot, i am still contemplating what i am going to do, i would love to do a nice mahogany, and looking over at tapease it will be an additional 60 bucks, and seeing that i have never worked with the stuff and the time that i am going to have to put into staining/dying that hugesurface, i don't know if it will be worth it. All though they have sheets that are 4X 8 and thats the perfect size to cover my box.

10. Dave Milne

I find cutting, gluing, and trimming veneer more tedious than finishing, unless I'm going for an exotic finish (like mirror gloss) ...but then I've got professional spray equipment.

If you're concerned about finishing, you might want to consider laminates. It's basically the same process as veneering without any finishing. There are some pretty darn convincing wood-look laminates and the result will be much tougher and scratch/dent resistant than veneer. Laminates are available from your local Home Depot under brands like Wilsonart, Nevamar, and Formica.