Finished sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John t., Jun 14, 2005.

1. John t.

John t. Agent

here is my finished sub

[​IMG]

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

holy crap thats nice! I like that piano black finish! Looks huge.
    How does it sound? What are you using with it?

3. MikeBi

MikeBi Auditioning

How'd you get the piano black to come out so well? I tried a finish like that but it took SOOOOO much work that I sorta gave up [​IMG]

4. Nat Ward

Nat Ward Agent

Ok - more info already! That looks great, what driver/enclosure size? My enclosure is about half that size and I thought it was large! [​IMG]

5. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

Beatiful. Nicely done.

6. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I like that finish. It dwarves those main speakers beside it.

7. John t.

John t. Agent

MikeGee,

It is huge. It is about 2" taller than my towers.

It sounds great, better than in the sealed enclosure. Believe it or not, it sounds a lot smoother, deeper and tighter than in the sealed enclosure. This driver was definitely built for larger enclosures, preferably ported in my opinion. According to PE specs, it is supposed to be tuned at 25hz, but according to my first tests, it is tuned in the teens.

I'm powering it with the Crown XLS 402 pro amp, 1,140 watts RMS.

MikeBi,

The hardest part for me was the finish, lots of work. I used grey car primer, black base car paint, and clear urethane with the activator.

Following the instructions on the gallon of primer, I applied about 6 or 7 light coats. Then I sanded it with 220, 400 and 600 sand papers until the primer felt like a glass (600 sand paper was used with water). Then I gave it three coats of the base paint and sanded it with 600 sand paper and water. Following the instructions on the gallon of urethane and the activator, I then applied the urethane mixed with the activator (about three medium wet coats). Then I sanded it again with 600 sand paper and water. Finally I applied a last coat of urethane mixed with the activator. It was a lot of work, but if I can do it, you can do it too.

Nat Ward,

The Driver is the Dayton 15" Titanic MKIII, The volume of the enclosure is approx 5.7 cu.ft, maybe a little more. All the walls are made out of 1.5" HDF (two 3/4" sheets together). It is braced pretty well. The port is 6" in diameter and around 33" long, a little shorter, made out of PVC pipe (you should have seen the 6" PVC and the elbow). I lined the walls of the enclosure with about 2.9lbs of acusta stuff.
    I'll update my web site with detailed info and pics.
    I'll give the overall outside dimensions when I get home.

Thanks for your comments

8. Nat Ward

Nat Ward Agent

Good deal John! I sure hope that it's sitting on something soft to make sure the nice finish on the bottom doesn't get roughed up from the hardwood floors! And HDF....high densify fiberboard? Whew, I can only imagine how much that thing weighs. Good job again!
    Nat

9. John t.

John t. Agent

Where can I get an external crossover? I have three subs and I want to leave two crossed at 80Hz by the receiver, and cross this one a bit lower, like at 60Hz.

10. John t.

John t. Agent