Finished Shiva Sub!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lloyd, May 21, 2001.

1. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I finished my 1st DIY speaker project - Shiva/PR sub. Wow I can't believe what I was missing from my system. Everything sounds so great now I have to go back and listen to all my cds over again.
    I have it tuned to about 19hz based on recommended mass additions but I can't find my test cd right now so I'm not completly sure. I does sound amazing though and can get quite loud.
    Some pics are on my web site. Sorry for the annoying pop-up ads. That's the price for free hosting.
    http://www.rlloyd.com/diysub.htm
    Now what do I replace my fronts and center with?
    -Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

2. Dustin Haug

Dustin Haug Agent

Looks great! I like the finish. A lot of people are doing Adire's kits for mains maybe you should look into those for your next DIY project.
    ------------------
    My DIY sub page

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow, fantastic work, that looks really great! I'll bet it sounds AWESOME. Thanks for sharing!
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

4. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Great work, Rob!
    Did you use the Mass kit for the PR?
    jd
    ------------------

5. Rob Lloyd

I didn't get the Adire kit - just the Shiva and PR. All the rest came from Parts Express. Kyle Richardson put together a "kit" from PE that had everything I needed. I made my own mass kit from $4 in large washers (.8lbs) and $1.99 for Crayola Modeling Clay - .15lbs
    I still have to make the grill but I was too excited to get it working to bother with that yet. It's in a corner so it looks just fine there w/o it. The wife didn't even mind. I think she's getting used to this lunacy!
    If I converted grams to oz to lbs properly I should be in the 19-20hz range for the tuning. I have not found my test CD yet but once I get something to test with I'll post the frequency response.
    I was thinking about playing w/ the mass but it sounds so great now I don't know if I even want to start messing with it. Sounds too addicting.
    Rob Lloyd
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

6. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I can understand your excitement since you didn't add the grills. I wouldn't add a grill to the PR - That's if you are planning to do so.
    I plan on either using Adire's PR15 or Stryke PR18.
    ------------------

7. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

looks great!

8. Brian_E

Brian_E Auditioning

Very nice job, Rob!
    85L tuned to 19Hz sounds very tempting. I'd love to see some SPL plots on that alignment in your room. Find those test CD's! [​IMG]
    BTW, what size room do you have, and (if you don't mind me asking) what was your total cost for the project?

9. Rob Lloyd

My room size is 10x12. Once I find the test cd's w/ all the tones on it I'll post everything and let you know.
    Project cost would be around $450. If you want exact let me know but it would be better to call Kyle Richardson. I think I paid about $20 for the wood at Lowes.
    I checked out a Rel something at Tweeters about 2 months ago. I think mine blows it away and it was $1000. It was finished a little nicer but I really doubt it match the performance of this one.
    Anyone want to lend me a test cd?
    Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

10. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Rob, I have a couple Stereophile test CD's that I can send to you to borrow. Just let me know.
    Total cost was about $450 after shipping. That included everything, drivers, amp, grills, grill cloth, black chrome spikes, etc.
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

11. Rob Lloyd

I spent about $20 on the MDF, a couple bucks for screws and $10 on primer and finish spray cans.
    So under $500 for everything. I'm planning on making the 145l version for the new house so the components will just pop into the new enclosure.
    If money was a concern I'd try not using the PR and going sealed to start. It's easy to cut the hole and pop in the PR later. The black chrome spikes look cool but you can't see them unless you look for them, so cheaper ones would work just as well. I put them in 1 1/2" from the corner. If they were closer to the edge you could see them but now the sub is about an 1 1/2" off the carpet and won't budge at all.
    This is a very fast setup. I was uncertain of the performance of the 12". I've heard 12" woofers in a car system that was really slow and boomy. But this setup is fast playing and keeps up w/ everything very easily and seems to reproduce well - even small stuff like TV commercials at low levels.
    -Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  13. Rob Lloyd

A plot will be done as soon as I get a test cd. Hopefully this weekend I'll get it done and posted for all to see and recommend changes.
    Unfortunately with the room setup the way it is I can't move the sub to other corners.
    -Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

14. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I'm a little confused at your confusion Neil [​IMG] This is just an Adire alignment using the PR-15 passive radiator as described in page 7 in their Tech Paper. The link in Rob's signature will lead to pictures that may help out a bit.
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70