What's new

Finished my first diy sub (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Thanks to the help from the people on this forum, especially Kyle Richardson and Jeff Rosz. It's not as nice to look at as the subs I've seen here(just a basic gloss black box) but the performance is far beyond what I hoped. Now I'm ready to build a better looking enclosure that is picture worthy. I can now see how diy projects can become addictive.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
I know how you feel!!!!!! congrats on the new sub. I just finished my sub a couple of weeks ago and i still smile every time i turn my system on. and that is with a 120watt amp. my pe 250 amp is on its way.:D I cant wait to hear it then;)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I ran sine waves through it today, dropping 1Hz at a time. I didn't have out the spl meter but it was very loud down to 16 Hz and still loud enough at 10 Hz.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
heya,
i am glad i could be some help to ya. what are the final specs for your sub? theres nothing like sonic IMPACT to put that grin on your face and life back into the dvd/cd collection. yes it is addictive, and legal too! keep us up to date on the picture worthy box, huh. enjoy!

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I kept the box at it's original dimensions but sealed the original vent. I used the Dayton DVC and 250 watt PE amp. I used a 4" port, one end flared, 16" long with 1 lb of polyfill that tuned the sub to 26 Hz. It blended better with my mains that way. I cut down the port twice before I was finished, it was going way low but had a slight frequency gap with my mains when playing in my room. It wasn't very noticeable on movies but was terrible on music. There's another great thing about diy, I couldn't custom tune my Paradigm to my system. I've never had a sub hit me in the chest like that before :D . I'm definitely addicted to diy.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
If you don't mind me asking, with such good results, as you say, how much money did you put into this sub? I'm really debating between manufactured speakers or DIY, and I really want to do a DIY sub, but don't knwo if I'll have teh cash.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I don't mind at all. You can get a Parts Express 250 watt plate amp for $135($99 on sale). The Dayton DVC can be had for $105.99 from Acoustic Visions, and Kyle Richardson is very knowledgeable and helpful. The port was $14 from Parts Express. I found a 20oz bag of polyfill at Walmart for $1.99. $45 for wood and glue. Your looking at around $320 including the shipping for a sub that will perform with $1000 subs easily. Of course the price is lower if you already have an amp or some of the materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks