What's new

Finished my film reel end table. (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Saw these advertised on some Home Theatre Decor sites for $460 so figured I could do better than that. This turned out so great that I've decided to make a matching coffee table with basically the same setup but with the reels sideways and a rectangular piece of glass on top. Just have to add some kind of stablizing feet so it doesn't roll away.
Cost:
$30 for each reel
$6 for 10' of conduit
$3 for 6 plastic connecting-nipples (no idea why they are called that)
$30 for glass table top
$4 for paint
$3 for epoxy super glue.
Total cost: $106
It was very easy to make as well and just used a dremel tool to clean and polish it.
table1s.jpg
Larger Picture
Oh yeah, my cat is a camera hog, don't mind him. :D

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
You can get metal reels here REALLY cheap:
Link Removed
Sorry I didn't know about your project sooner..but DAMN that table looks great!!!!!

Brian E

Screenwriter
Very nice! I think I'll have to build one for myself. Was the glass something you had cut or is stuff like that available pre-cut?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the comps,
I bought the reels on ebay. Funny thing is that they are Goldberg Brothers reels which are made in Denver, which is where I live. I should try and track down where they are and get some reels that way.
The glass you can find at Pier 1 Imports. I got the 24" piece but they sell them in a variety of sizes and shapes as well. Pretty decent pricing too.
I'll post pics of the coffee table as soon as that one is complete. :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah thanks for the link on where to get those reels. The only problem is that they don't show what they look like. My guess is that they are just generic shipping reels or even wind up reels versus the old film house reels with the fancy designs. I could be wrong but I would want to see pictures first before ordering.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The reels are 15" across and the glass top is 20"(I said 24" in an earlier post by mistake). They are Goldberg 2000' classic reels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks