Finished my DIY Tempest, 230L Sealed.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Benihana, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, if it wasn't for you guys, i wouldn't have this monster of a sub. Super clean and accurate, and packs a MIGHTY punch. I never thought i could get bass like this from a sealed sub, it LITERALLY does its magic, i can feel this thing as if it was built in to my body. Next I will get a BFD to correct in room resonance problems, I did the adire Low Q .577 230L sealed design, and am currently wrapping it in Chery Vinyl, came out to $89 for the PE 300-794 amp, $125 for the Tempest 15", both with free shipping, and about $40 for wood, and $20 for supplies, coming to around $275, BEST subwoofer i've ever had. my jaw literally dropped to the floor once i put a bass intense song on, and turned it all the way up, i couldn't bottom it out either, it pressurizes my room. Kudos to Adire, Dan is the MAN!!

P.S. Sony SA-WX700 subwoofer for sale, make offer, surprisingly clean for what it is. I wouldn't mind keeping it if there is no buyers, as itself is a clean sounding sub. Thanks.

2. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Nice. I'm working on mine as well, hope to have the box finished tomorrow (stupid rain and no garage [​IMG]). I'm sticking with adire designs, although I've sorta morphed the SBB4 and Adire Alignment into one, having the width of the SBB4 and the hight of the Adire Alignment, giving me 254L minus the volume that the sub displaces (anyone know this off the top of their head?).

Couple pictures of the internal bracing that I've completed [​IMG]
    Pic1
    Pic2

3. Benihana

how big are the holes that are supposed to be drilled into the braces, cuz i did 4", and after I was done, I think they were supposed to be 3". But if i did it 1" bigger, i may have more than 230L.

4. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Mine are all 4" as the designs specify. My volume of 254L was calculated taking the inner braces w/holes into consideration.

5. Benihana

your gonna love the wooferage when its done, what are you powering it with?

6. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

A 250W plate amp from partsexpress [​IMG]

7. Benihana

Its all you need, its actually 272watts @ 4 ohms, which is can make the tempest reach xmax. Although i dont like the crossover on the plate amp, i'm looking for a crossover that i can low pass as low as like 25 or 30hz(since my mains are only -2db @ 30hz), and at least a 24db steep crossover, i'm gonna look into the behringer digital crossover, see what can happen there.

8. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

My mains blow...I won't dare even mention what they are here, don't bother asking [​IMG] [​IMG]

It won't stop raining!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Benihana

doesn't matter what kind of mains you have, as long as you have good bass for now, you can upgrade your mains later, or build em later.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Its all you need, its actually 272watts @ 4 ohms, which is can make the tempest reach xmax. Although i dont like the crossover on the plate amp, i'm looking for a crossover that i can low pass as low as like 25 or 30hz(since my mains are only -2db @ 30hz), and at least a 24db steep crossover, i'm gonna look into the behringer digital crossover, see what can happen there.

Benihana,

Are you referring to the Parts Express amp? So, it's rated @ 250, but puts out 272 with a 4 Ohm load? Thanks. [​IMG]

11. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

That's correct, Wayne [​IMG]

12. Benihana

should i sell the PE plate amp and get a rythmik 380 watt? Or will it be too much for the tempest in the 230L enclosure? Thanks.

13. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Stunt Coordinator

Benihana,

If you start down the upgrade path.
    Be warned.
    It knows no end.

[​IMG]

14. Benihana

lol, i won't be upgrading anything for a LONG time, i already have the sub i want and the mains, i'm just gonna add things, like a BFD, and another amp to run my bass shaker pros. Just the rythmik amp is gonna be an easy upgrade, since i just have to cut just a bit more to get it to fit into the case, and have like 100 more watts.

15. Benihana

actually, just thinking about it, i can skimp on the BFD, and save up for the PE 500 plate amp. It has a low 30hz crossover that i really need with 24db slope, and it has 540watts to boot, and a parametric eq that will be useful like a BFD.