What's new

Finished Basement - Help w/spker wireing Please (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
I aplologize for the long thread here, I just don't know how else to explain it.
I have a finished basement with a textured ceiling for my HT. I used the advice of the forum to get 12g stranded wire from HD. I thought I would just pull the base boards off, drop my wire down the wall, run it under the carpet and to the other wall, back up to my termintion point. The wire is just too big to be under carpet.
Can someone give me some suggestions? I am not apposed to cutting the sheet rock, but, damage to the cealing I am affraid I would not be able to fix that to the WAF(wife approval factor). Here is the kicker, on the right side of the room running the length of the room is a drop of about 6 inches for all the duct work. I can get to one end of that from my utility room (Back of HT) and it has lots of space for running cables. The problem is how do I reach the other end. My room is about 25x17. I can provide a pic if you like.
By the way, I took the CRT plunge!:) My projector, screen, and linedoubler will be here this week. That is why I decided to upgrade my wire and put it all in the wall. Before, I had cheap wire tucked under the base board around the room. I am trying to "do it right". Thanks for any time you folks put in on this. The read alone is a lot of work
Thank you,
"constructionaly challenged":b

Jim Mc

Agent
Well Jeff since may still be seeking an answer. I would look at using a fiberglass wand as the alarm installers use or a metal snake like an electrician. You could buy a long painters extension pole. Electricians sometimes even use a crossbow may for sending out a pull spring.

tony randall

Stunt Coordinator
I wrote a nice detailed reply yesterday, only to be told I was no longer logged in. Once I logged back in, it said the thread was no longer available, or something like that.

Now seeing the old date, I won't try and duplicate all the specifics, but using a snake was mentioned. The CAUTION he needs to exercise, especially if running it through the 'drop', is not to cut the insulation when pulling it through. The hangars for ductwork can easily cut the insulation.

If he can run a 10' section of conduit into the accessible end of the 'drop', and has a high degree of patience, he can feed the wire through the conduit, place the conduit in the drop, repeat as many times as necessary so that he can grab the wire through a small hole at the other end of the drop. Then, anchor the speaker wire, and gently remove the conduit. It takes patience, but probably gives the best results. Or if he has access to a snake, could probably just lay the condiut in, and snake it.

Hard to believe yesterday's reply was longer

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
Thanks you two for the replies. I have used a fish tape before (aluminum on a wheel type) so that is probably what I will use.

Tony,

This conduit idea intrigued me. It made me think, I could use 2 or 4 inch pvc and put a Y right up at the beginnig, then I could run wires to the other end or to the right side wall (which is where my gear will be). does that sound like a good Idea?

Jim,

I like the "Cross Bow" idea. I might do that also except, the other end of the chase is my concrete foundation. I will see what I can do. thanks again.

tony randall

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a good picture, so I can't really say what is the best way for you to do it. I know the difficulties people encounter in wiring a room that is already finished.

The main reason I chose to post is to raise the issue of protecting the cable before you pull it through a wall or a drop. If you just snake it unprotected, and the wire snags anywhere, you run the risk of cutting away the insulation, or worse. If you set up some conduit that has a smooth interior, you mitigate that risk a lot closer to zero.

If the cable is too big to go under the carpet, I'm guessing you have a little more than 10 bucks invested in speaker wire. So if you snake it, try to do it in a way where you won't be wondering if you damaged the cable.

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
Tony,

Yea, a bit more than $10. How bout $50 for a spool of 150 feet. I am going to HD tonight to check out conduit and to return my Leviton Binding posts. Them suckers were 7 bucks a piece and I bought 18 of them. I have since found them through a friend that owns his own cabling company for 2.60 ea. I would like to e-mail you a picture of my room so you can see what I am dealing with. Thats only because I don't now how to post a Pic in my responce for every one to see. Your e-mail address is not accessible through the board, Mine is if you would like to give me your e-mail address. Just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks