What's new

Finish Out My Ht (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
lookin for a speaker system for around $750 including the sub. Here is my set-up:

Denon AVR2805
Mitsu 62"HDTV

Looking for the best possible HT speaker system for the
money--

I have already looked at:
HSU Vent VT-12 with the VTF2-MK2 sub for $698

any other suggestions? I am not and audiophile but I do know when I hear good music. My room is 18x24.

SamNavy

Stunt Coordinator
You can increase your budget if able and get better stuff, but in your listed price range, you can build a good 5.1 system that will provide a lifetime of enjoyment that you'll have no regrets over. Obviously audiophiles won't settle for less than absolute perfect sound reproduction... but for 99% of the rest of us, $750 is plenty of budget to fill an average living room with quality sound. Of course this is an "enthusiast" site, so almost everyone will tell you you need to spend more.

If truly wanting to stick with $750, I don't think anybody will try and steer you away from those HSU subs.
The STF-1 at $299 is a great bargain... as for meeting your requirement for the "best possible HT"... only YOUR ears will tell you what's best. To keep you in budget and using small bookshelf type speakers that you'll be able to demo pretty much anywhere, some small Polk, Infinity, or Klipsch 5 speaker systems would work fine. For example...

At Circuit City, 2 pairs of Polk M10's at $140pair and a CSM center at $99.

At Crutchfield, an Infinity Primus package of 4 140's and matching center is $399 or $339 scratch&dent.

At just about anywhere, a Klipsch Quintet II package is $299.

These are just ideas for investigation and not necessarily my recommendations... again, only YOUR ears will tell you what to buy. That is a pretty big room after all and small bookshelfs may not be enough to "really" fill it up. But they'll do pretty good and fit the budget. To step up to decent front floorstanding and some larger surrounds, you really do need just a little more money, but certainly no more than $1000 will get you into a nice JBL Northridge system.

Me, I have a modest Klipsch system of SF-1's, SC.5's, and SS.5's... plus a DIY Dayton 12"DVC@240watts and an Onkyo 602. Not audiophile, but good enough for me and I can still make my truck payments.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with the idea that you must up your budget. The Hsu system is a very nice system. Certainly not an audiophile system, but as far as satelite systems go it is very good. You might also consider the Athena Micra-6 package in your price range -- you could add a nicer sub to it and still be in your range.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
If that is your budget that is your budget, but my point was for $250 more I think you can get a lot more with the SVS system. The sub alone in the SVS system is worth it in my opinion......

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Or, get that speaker system if you are sold on it and get the SVS PB-10 instead of the HSU, actually a tad cheaper isn't it?

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Similar to Blaine's posting, the AV123 x-ls 5.1 system for $696.00 (b/f shipping) is an excellent option. It's likely closer to $800 w/shipping. Your room is fairly sizable, but if necessary at a later point, you could always incorporate another x-sub for a couple hundred more to add more bass.

They list the center as another x-ls bookshelf, but you likely can lay it horizontally and get the same output. If this is a consideration, probably best to ask the folks at AV123 for sure... -TD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks