What's new

finish coating for textured paint? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I am currently using truck bed coating for my stands and sub and when I touch the surface some of it rubs off on my hands. What would be best to coat on top of the textured paint so the texture remains but won't rub off? Brian suggested a clear coat spray. Any particular brand/type that will be best?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Becareful with whatever you choose. The bedliner I believe is slightly elastic so it will expand/shrink with changes in temp. You'll need to choose a clearcoat with the same properties. Normal coatings like polyurethane will be too rigid.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
How flexible is that coating?

I have a Rhino spray on bedliner in the bed of my Toyota Tacoma. It was looking pretty faded after about 6 months so I went to the store that sprayed it in for me and picked up a bottle of what they call Rhino Shine. I sprayed it over the Rhino Liner and noticed that the spray looked and smelled just like the water based Varathane Diamond finishes. It acted the same way too... it's kind of milky white when it's wet and dries clear. It appears to be just a clear acrylic coating that sits over the sprayed on liner.

You may want to look onto the Varathane Diamond Finish or similar acrylic/water based finishes.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
jeff

The only thing I can think of is to dilute the original clear silicone seal (not Silicone II) with Toluene (VERY TOXIC STUFF). This will make it liquid enough to be put on with a brush or sprayed (VERY VERY DANGEROUS = seriously explosive)

Might want to check with the bedliner mfgr to see if they have any suggestions that are a little less risky.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jeff,

I use the bed liner paint on my stuff too. I get mine a Wal-Mart. I lightly sand it with 220 sand paper by hand and wipe off with a damp rag, and it does not rub off. It does not feel/look rubberized. I usually use the type in a spray can. Hope it helps.

I would think the best thing would be to use the proper paint materials. You can get "crinkle" finish paint in spray bombs in various colors or go to an automotive paint store and check out what kinds of textured paints they carry. I have used a lacquer based texture paint that looks very close to a vinyl finish when completed with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks