What's new

Finian's Rainbow---coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
View media item 3774

FINIAN'S RAINBOW (1968)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
BD50
Color - 145 Minutes
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
DTS HD-Master Audio English 5.1
English SDH
ORIGINAL ROADSHOW VERSION with Overture, Entr'acte/Intermission & Exit Music

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Watch Finian's Rainbow With Francis Ford Coppola: Introduction and Commentary by the Director
Featurette: The World Premiere of Finian's Rainbow
Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

He wears a ratty old cardigan instead of tails, a battered felt hat in place of a topper – but one glimpse of those agile feet and you know he’s Fred Astaire. The great entertainer sang and danced his last musical lead in Finian’s Rainbow, director Francis Ford Coppola’s exuberant movie of the 1947 Broadway hit.

Astaire plays an Irish rogue who plants a stolen crock of leprechaun gold in the soil near Fort Knox to reap what he thinks will be a rich harvest. In tow are his spirited daughter (Petula Clark), a love-struck leprechaun (Tommy Steele) and a bigoted Southern senator (Keenan Wynn) transformed by misbegotten magic. The treasurable Burton Lane/E.Y. Harburg score includes “How Are Things in Glocca Morra?,” “Look to the Rainbow,” “If This Isn’t Love” and “Old Devil Moon.” Watching it, you’ll be in clover. Four-leaf all the way.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is the commentary new or was it on the DVD? I never picked this one up, but Coppola commentaries are always worth the price of admission for me.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I know it is not a great movie, but the music is excellent. Although the Ken Darby chorus and the orchestra, led by Ray Heindorf, are probably too lush sounding for the movie (a comment Coppola makes in the commentary) it sounds great and for that alone I will buy this. Just skip from song to song and forget the plot and enjoy Petula Clark singing those terrific songs.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Is the commentary new or was it on the DVD? I never picked this one up, but Coppola commentaries are always worth the price of admission for me.

I'm sure it is the same commentary, but it is quite interesting. He admits many of his mistakes, talks about the limited budget they had and how he got into the venture in the first place.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm sure it is the same commentary, but it is quite interesting. He admits many of his mistakes, talks about the limited budget they had and how he got into the venture in the first place.

Wow, can't believe I missed that the first time around. Sounds great. I haven't heard a bad one from him yet.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
F I N A L L Y. Every St. Patrick's Day I say to myself "Still no Finian's Rainbow or Darby O'Gill and the Little People on Blu-ray." This year I'll have something new to watch.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I like this play and the movie as well.

The play was performed by the 42nd Street Moon company in San Francisco a number of years ago. If you get a chance to see the play, be sure to do so. But the movie does well at repeating the experience.

Fred Astaire's dancing and performance is much better than it is given credit for, and Tommy Steele is very engaging.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!! Wouldn't it be great if another "Irish" film was announced for St Patrick's Day.........RYAN'S DAUGHTER.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Wonderful musical play, and really good movie. Wish they had kept "Necessity" in the film, but as it is, it is a really good adaptation of a stage musical, opening it up, just the right amount for the medium of film. Tommy Steele is a bit over-the-top, and can annoy, but overall the entire cast is excellent.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
According to another thread, this is scheduled for March 28th (the four March titles are spread to one per week).

If this is true, then someone needs to give WAC a calendar. Releasing Finian's Rainbow (a movie about a leprechaun) two weeks AFTER St. Patrick's Day is ridiculous.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
According to another thread, this is scheduled for March 28th (the four March titles are spread to one per week).

If this is true, then someone needs to give WAC a calendar. Releasing Finian's Rainbow (a movie about a leprechaun) two weeks AFTER St. Patrick's Day is ridiculous.

It seems the thread I was looking at was wrong (thankfully). Release date appears to be the 7th (before the holiday)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

All due respect, but who these days really cares about St. Patrick's day promotions other than Irish Americans, McDonald's with their stupid green shakes, and the Hallmark Card company? It's all a huge corporate commercial profit-maker like Valentine's Day and Easter. If the FINIAN'S RAINBOW release comes within a month or two of the big "Day," does it really matter? Don't mean to offend Irish people (I am part Irish), but, c'mon. Movie release dates have zero meaning within the context of the history of The Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks