Finest Stereo Amplifier

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdwinL, Sep 10, 2002.

1. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

Okay, so here's the story!

I have been looking for a 'system' for roughly 2 months now, and in fact I was concentrated on a HT reciever to drive a pair of speakers. However, due to my budget and the overwhelming notion of 'do i really need this' I decided to change my approach to it. I wanted a system that could handle all the latestest HT formats as well as preform well in the music department, but have found that there is and can not be a dream A/V reciever. So, I've come to the conclusion that for my budget/need, it would be best to concentrate on music, muSIC, MUSIC! Hi-Fidelity is vital now, and the Budget I had in my for a pre-HT is still in effect.

This is where you guys come in. Before I had planned to purchase a Marantz SR7200 and pair it with (2) Axiom M22tis or Paradigm Monitor 3s or 7s, and recently, as another member had in mind, B&W 602s.

Now forget HT, and think of pure 'audiophile' equipment that will fit this budget in a stereo setup. Keep in mind that I would apperciate an array of inputs that include analog/digital formats.

Thanks fellas!

P.S. I forgot to mention, despite the fact that I live in Virginia, US, I'm more than willing to pay a bit extra to have imported equipment!

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Roughly what budget does that equate to? And if you want to have digital inputs, you'd be looking at a HT pre/pro or one of the upper-end Tag Mclaren 2-channel preamps, both of which may extend past your budget. For music only, it might be better using the analog outs of a dedicated cd player.

3. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

For Amplifiers, there are endless possibilities. If you are looking for stereo, you should try auditioning some tube gear.

4. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

Okay, roughly $900 for the preamp/reciever. we can take care of speakers later.

Would the analog inputs be better? I mean, i always thought that digital encoding is superiour to analog singals.

Thanks

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

900 dollars on a used stereo amp - classe 201, tube, audio research etc.

plug your cd player into it and run some magnapan speakers. dirt cheap, fabulous.

6. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

In your price range you should really go with an integrated amp. I would strongly recomend you look at the Audio Refinement Complete. It retails for around $900 and would be absolutely perfect for what your looking for. My father owns a high end audio store and carries these and I have been nothing but impressed every time I'v listened to it.
    www.audiorefinement.com
    Good Luck,
    Brandon

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How about a Parasound HC750A paired with the Adire Kosala and Rava SE. Then get a really nice CD player with excellent DACs.

You may also want to look into tube gear to mate with the Kosala.

8. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Go Tube with some efficient speakers = amazingly warm sound. Next time I go back to the shop I will LYK what I listened to about 3 months ago that melted me & just about bade my pull out the CC.......

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I'll chime in and recommend checking out tubes, too. For music, they can't be beat. I picked up a pair of Antique Sound Labs Waves Monoblocks ($250) and their LH-01 preamp with remote ($499).

I combined this with a pair of GR Research speakers and it's just heavenly.

The other cool thing about the separates route is that it offers a lot of flexibility when the urge to upgrade hits again.

-Mike...

10. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

What's a tube... give me a link.

I'm thinking of going for an integrated amp... and increasing my budget to $1500. The hell with a reciever, no one listens to the radio anymore!

11. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

There's a host of information on tubes in general. I like Svetlana's (tube manufacturer) little blurb:
    How A Vacuum Tube Works
    If you do a seach in Google for Vacuum tube, you'll get more information than you probably care for.
    Here's a link to ASLs Integrated Tube Amplifiers.
    Antique Sound Lab
    -Mike...

12. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

EdwinL
    For a Hi-End integrated why don't go with an Hybrid design? You will get the beautiful "tube" sound from the Pre and yet have the power of good ss on the amp. Furthermore, you will be able to perform several easy upgrades in the future like going to a full tube amplifier and using the ss to feed a subwoofer.
    Here is a nice example:
    http://www.margules.com.mx/magenta/acr1.html

13. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Edwin,
    Although I'm not sure of your budget, my neighbor has the following equipment he is thinking of selling (I know it's great cause I helped him get it)
    A Jolida JD 1501A (100wpc)integrated tube amp (list $650)
    and a pair of VMPS 626R Ribbon speakers (list $1598)
    I think he is lookin at $1600 or so for the shootin match.
    This system is a dream for a budding audiophile.
    look here: http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/jd1501.html
    and here: http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qso626p.htm
    Look around the deals are out there.
    John
    It will probably be on Audiogon soon