What's new

Fine tuning a sub (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
You can't imagine how much I enjoy this Ht hobbie I recently got in to. Even though I enjoy it, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I have 2 svs pb12plus 2's in a room that is 1191 cubic vollume. The room is just a small rectangle. I have the 2 pb12plus 2's on each side of the hd tv in each corner. I don't have the option to move them cause of the size of the room. And I also love the looks of them there. Anyway I want to get the full potential out of these subs. Is there any type of test I can do to see if they are canceling each other out. I don't have access to any high end testing equipment. What I did so far is I turned one off and played only one of them then turned the other one to see if there was any difference. It was like night and day. But other then that I am at a loss. I don't understand what the phase knobs on the subs do, so I didn't touch them. I was really hoping you guys could help me here. Thanks again.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ya, this "hobbie" can make nuts. I have more avr's, speakers and dvd players than I know what to do with. Gonna have a $3000 garage sale next summer. Anyway, I also have two subs (Dayton 10"er's L/R of the couch) but I'm not the best to answer this. But since I'm suffering from severe insomnia I'm going to anyway. They say two identical subs should be located together, one on top of the other. Give this a try and see if it sounds better. Do you have an SPL meter? It might analyse the placement. I think the Phase switch determines which way the cone travels, in or out. Put one at 0 and the other at 180 and see what happens. Can't hurt. You can always put it back.

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for helping me. I will try the phase thing but I don't want to move the subs. I love where they are now. I am going to try and work with the placement I have. I will let you know what I find on the phase thing. Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I fully expected you to put them back, I just thought if you noticed a big improvement in the response by testing both in the same corner then you would know that there might be a cancellation problem. My big stuffy couch works nicely as a sound barrier for me.

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I miss read you. That is a good idea. I will try and move them. But the place where there at, I actually have to pick them up off the floor. So I need to wait for help. Each of them weigh about 150. And I'm lucky if I could pick myself off the floor. But I will keep you let you know what I find. Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
150 pounds each! Yes, don't hurt yourself. Get some help. Besides, someone who knows a lot more about subs than I do will probably give you some better ideas tomorrow if not later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks