finding the perfect ceiling bracket for a front projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Lee Distad, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

So far to date I have encountered two basic kinds of ceiling mount:

1) branded ones for a specific projector that are limited in the amount of horizontal and vertical adjustment. They are either priced reasonably, or ridiculously, depending on the vendor.

2) aftermarket universal mounts that are more flexible in their adjustments. However, some units don't work well with some projector's mounting sockets. Retail price is, quite often, also quite high.

So, for those of you who have installed overhead front projectors, what do you love and hate about brackets? Has anyone got a specific recommendation for an aftermarket bracket brand that works like a charm? And finally, if you were desigining an aftermarket bracket, what features would you incorporate into the design?

2. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

3. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

I tried for a long time to design an adjustable ceiling mount that allowed my projector to be taken down without too much trouble, and that didn't drop the projector off of the ceiling too much. My friend runs a machine shop, so fabrication wasn't too big of a deal, other than I didn't want to make him do a whole lot of work.

Then a simple, effective design hit me:
    I made a ceiling mount that I am fairly happy with for about $30. My projector has a tripod mount in addition to it's proprietary mount. I purchased a tripod with decent ball head (forget the articulated heads, there is way too much play in those unless you buy a very expensive one) and removed just the head. I bolted it to a piece of 3/4" plywood painted black and mounted that to the ceiling. You end up having to spin the projector around to mount it, but once it's up, it's up. It feels very solid, I don't worry about my projector falling and it looks like a commercial product.

I would recommend a better ball head as this one has a little play, making very fine adjustments a bit difficult. You should be able to find decent ball heads separate from the tripod to save some scratch from any photographic supplier for about $30-$50. I would recommend a Bogen head, I feel that they make good equipment for decent prices. I needed a mount quick so I was at the mercy of Best Buy [​IMG]

I'm at work right now, but I need to go home on my lunch anyway, I'll take some pictures and post them if you'd like.

4. Lee Distad

That would be great Adam, thanks.

5. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

pictures would be good... cant quite picture that... heh

6. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

My digicam sucks and we have no photo editing software here at work, so all I gould get is a very washed out picture. Normally, my living room has subdued lighting, so the block of wood looks decent, you can't see any wood grain or the layers of plywood. Bevelling the edges keeps it from looking so homemade, I think.

[​IMG]

Seeing this picture reminds me I need to dust like crazy.

7. Lee Distad

That's quite a clever contraption Adam. Thanks for taking to time to show it to me.