Finding Real Estate w/ Home Theater

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by LeeEdwards, Sep 8, 2005.

1. LeeEdwards

LeeEdwards Auditioning

Does anyone know of a real-estate search tool on the Internet that lets you search specifically for homes equipped with a home theater? With so many people having home theaters these days, it seems odd that I cannot seem to find any homes for sale that have a home theater. I've only had my current home theater for a year or so and I don't feel like starting again from scratch. Nor do I feel like ripping out the custom installation when I move, but I guess I will if I have to. Anyway, any recommendations for real-estate-search sites? Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Lee.

Real Estate is about 3 things: location, location, location. Everything else seems to be less important.

I will offer some advice:

- Look for "media room" in the description.

- When you pick out a few houses in an area, go to www.antennaweb.org and type in the address. It will show you how many HD television stations are operating in the area and how big of an antenna you need to recieve them.

Hope this helps.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Not that this helps....but I read an article saying that in 10yrs...you might have trouble selling your home if you dont have a "media" room- since the popularity of them has taken off.

Just some info... good luck.

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

As much as you'd rather not have to do the work again, there is a silver lining in that you'd have control over the room -- where it was located, how much space was devoted, what level of quality, etc.

I know that when I had my basement finished, I set it up the way I wanted. Yes, I have seen basements that I like better than mine, but I have also seen larger, more expensive jobs that would not have suited my needs.

As one example, what if it was important to you that the ceiling of the HT was insulated in a certain way to improve sound within and prevent sound from disturbing people upstairs. That's fairly typical, but if the room wasn't constructed that way, you are then faced with being frustrated at someone else's design, or demolishing some work to get it done the way you want.

It would be great to buy a house with a HT room done by someone with more money and expertise that you have, but I think it more likely you'll find a house you love (or your wife loves) which has a HT room that is below your standards. There is a bright side to doing it your way, one time.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    You are really limiting your house choices, if you only view homes with a HT. There's not as many out there as you think. I would much rather find the house I like, then build my own HT.

6. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Home theatres aren;t nearly as popular as you think. Out of all the listing in my area, 0 out or around 300 have home theatre rooms.
    And like charlie said, it's better to just design it yourself. Then you don't have to deal with any flaws that people forgot about.

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I may be renting my house soon...FULL theater and lobby/refeshmentcounter/bar!

Wanna come to New Jersey?

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

all the houses in the "Parade of homes" here in San Antonio area- all had Home theaters or a Media room. They are poppin up in our area big time.