Finding old Outlook Express data (emails & address book) after upgrading to XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I guess my subject pretty much sums it up.
    I did an upgrade from Windows 98 to XP, and then found I had problems with Outlook Express not functioning. I fiddled around with it for awhile, then somehow got it working.
    So, I have Outlook Express 6 working nicely now, except none of my address book nor saved emails have imported from my old Outlook Express 5 .
    I assume the stuff is still hiding in my hard drive, but I'm at a loss as to how to find it and import it.
    Thanks for any assistance,
    Jon

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Your address book should have a wab extension, so do a search for *.wab then check the file date to figure out which is the old one and import it into Outlook.

For the messages, do a search on *.dbx copy the old dbx files into the location of your new outlook install, then do an import from OE5 store directory.

Post again if any of this is confusing, or doesn't work out.

T

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Thom...I did this and the only returns on the search were from the current install.

Am I scroogied?

Jon

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

In XP you have to be careful about searches, as the default search really finds pretty little. Click through the options to make certain you are looking for system and hidden files.

Usually Outlook Express data on win98 machines is stored in the
    WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook Express folder.

If you had profiles active, then it would be in:
    WindowsProfiles(Username)Application DataMicrosoftOutlook Express

I don't know if the XP install will move these locations... Good hunting.

5. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...maybe.
    Danny's spot on with his suggestion. To set this in the search window click on Tools->Folder Options, then click the View tab. Once there make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected, then run the search again. If they don't show, you may well be done. [​IMG]
    I'll do a bit more digging when I get to work tomorrow.
    T

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks for the help, guys.

I did to the original search with Show All Files enabled.

Also, I have no 'windows/application data' nor 'windows/profiles' listed on my drive.

Jon

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Well, I did come across an article in the MS knowledge base, article Q313055, which addresses this issue, but it pretty much outlines what we've already reccomended. The only difference being they instruct checking the "Search hidden files and folders" checkbox under "More advanced options" on the left hand side of the search window. How this might differ from using the similar option under tools->folder options, I don't know. It's worth a shot anyway.
    Did you format your drive to ntfs when you upgraded? Depending on what selections you made during setup, it's possible the drive containing your old settings got wiped.
    T

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thom, I did have the 'Search hidden files and folders' checked when I did the search.

I didn't reformat the drive, though, when I upgraded. I just upgraded on top of Win98. This is why I believe the files are still in there somewhere.

Jon

9. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Jon,

Windows XP has a file structure that is very different from 98. Your best bet is to look in the C:Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentitiesMicrosoftOutlook Express. Make sure that you can view Hidden and System Files and Folders in order to get to the Local Settings folder. Use OE's import wizards to import your old data over to OE6.

I haven't upgraded to XP (only done fresh installs), but I think once you get through these first few hurdles, you'll grow to love it.