What's new

Finding Nemo R3 Korea DTS-ES Review (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I won't go over the film review because most people don't really care of my opinion. LOL
However I will just give it a rating: 4.5/5

The Korean version of Finding Nemo DOES NOT come with a full framed version on Disc 2. Disc 2 has all the extras to provide space for optimal video quality and a DTS ES soundtrack.

Video
The R3 Korean version of Finding Nemo Disney and Pixar have provided us with is a flawless 1:78 THX certified anamorphic transfer. This has to be one of the best video transfer ever! There are no problems with this transfer. No spots, blemishes, bleeding of colors, etc. Colors are magnificent! Blues, greens, oranges, reds, all jump right at you. With all these colors, there is sometimes a chance of saturation or bleeding. None here. The colors are kept intact perfectly.
Detail is fantastic. Examples are shots taken above water. My mother couldn't tell if it was computer generated or real and I agreed with her. This is one transfer with no complaints.

Rating: 5/5

Audio - English Dolby-EX - English DTS-ES - Korean Dolby-ES
While the R1 version of Finding Nemo comes with a Dolby EX track, the R3 also provides a DTS ES track. I'll review the DTS ES track since that's what most people are looking for when buying this R3 DVD.
What an excellent soundtrack. This movie totally engages all speakers for the DTS ES track. The dialogue was clear and concise and hugely directional! No doubt reference material.
subtle ambience effects are used throughout the movie. This is what envelopes you into the soundstage, never letting you feel you disconnected from the movie. The LFE effects will definitely keep you on your toes. It is used consistently through the movie. Perfectly controlled, used widely and distributed throughout the room.

Dolby-EX vs. DTS-ES
On a direct comparison I preferred the DTS-ES soundtrack. I had to turn down my volume from my normal listening level since I found the DTS-ES track to be slightly more louder then the Dolby-EX track.
I felt the Dolby-EX to be a little constrained, not too much to worry about, but it's there. While the DTS-ES had a much wider soundstage as well as a more noticeable ambient soundtrack.
I found the LFE to be more powerful (but controlled) and had a wider sound field on the DTS-ES track then the Dolby-EX track.

Rating: 5/5

Extras
You will find the same extras on the R3 and R1 DVD. I haven't gone through them all yet, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed.

Final Analysis
So is it worth importing the R3 DVD? Hell yeah. However, it'll be for the DTS-ES track only because that's the only difference between the R1 and R3. As well as there being no full screen version of the movie packaged together. However, I find the DTS-ES track to be well worth the money. The price is about the same as the R1 version so there's no harm in purchasing the R3 version.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I know this thread is about the korean version, but now it´s confirmed that the R2UK edition will have a dts track. So now you can choose if you want the NTSC version with dts or the PAL version with dts.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I also found that the Korean R3 version offered the noted advantages. I eas able to find it at a USA online retailer located in California..

http://www.hanbooks.com

I also purchased the Korean R3 release of Lion King that also deleted the full frame version in favor of dts sound track.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
I too have the korean version of this movie, just for the dts.

I am SHOCKED to read your review Harminder. The transfer I have is very much like the R1. Low bitrate and somewhat muddy at places. But just like you say the bits above water are sharp like needles just like on R1.

But this transfer is NOT, I repeat NOT perfect. It´s equally flawed like the R1.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
This is how it was in the theater. I remember remarking to my wife when we took our 4yr old that the picture was just good not great then we realized it is because it was underwater and that is how they wanted it to look. Above water was very sharp.

Harminder, have you done a direct comparison of the video of R1 to R3? Mine ahs been shipped and I should receive it soon. I will post my impressions.
Marc

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Remember guys, not everyone is going to agree on the reviews I make or anyone else makes. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

No I haven't. If anyone has, please post the results.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Ok,
I got my copy and watched it with my daughter on Friday. I have not done a direct comparison yet but I will.
My Setup:
Dwin TV3 HD2 DLP PJ
103" Vutex brightwhite screen
Anthem AVM20
Rotel 1095(5x200)/1090(2x380)
B&W:N804/NHTM1/CDMSNT/DS6 speakers
SVS sub w/500 S1000 amp

Ok, I think there is a suttle but, IMO, significant difference in the picture of the R3. I think it has a slight bit more 3d picture than the R1. When I watched the R1 with her, I remember thinking that the picture looked good but lacked depth. The R3 had more depth. I will compare them to varify and report back.
The DTS-ES is much more natural, smooth and immersing. I really like the R3.

Marc

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I thought the region three was much better, especially in terms of fine detail and compression in backgrounds.

Finding Nemo is a lot like real life, underwater things look soft and a bit muddy. That is why there is such a huge difference when things are above or below water.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks Kris, good to have confirmation of my opinions from an expert.
Marc(FREAK!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks