FINDING NEMO and halo effect (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JamesCB, Jan 2, 2004.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I have a Hitachi 51" widescreen (51F500).
    I just picked up Finding Nemo DVD. Great movie.
    I tried a search, but no luck on my question.
    In a few scenes where Nemo or Marlin is against a dark (black) background, there is a relatively bright orange glow (halo) around them. I also noticed a very slight blue glow around Dori. Is this a normal look for this film? Is this an anomoly with my TV? My Tv is not professionally calibrated, I have not changed anything in the service menu (afraid to touch being an RPTV newbie). I have calibrated with Video Essentials. I have not noticed anything like this in other movies. But, it is very noticeable in Nemo. If there is a thread concerning this somewhere, please let me know. TIA and Happy New Year.

James

2. John S

John S Producer

Nemo has some odd stuff going on, do not use it to gauge color scale or anything else for that matter.

I believe the halos are intentional by the creators.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

So everybody else sees this too? I was wondering if there was something wrong with my monitor.

4. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

James, it's covered on the commentary track and it's intentional. The commentary track branches to a section of the extras where the director talks about how the fishes are rendered as sort of a gummy substance so that they appear to glow in some scenes. You can reach that particular section by looking at the extras on the disk, but I forget which one it is labelled as.

5. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

yep, mine have halos too

6. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

JamesCB,

I get them also. I posted in another section and I was told that they are intentional as well. It was driving me crazy as I thought it was my dvd player at first because I bought a LO and have it in 1080i.

7. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

I thought that I was the only one having a problem with this, also! I didn't know about the halo being intentional. When I first popped the disc in and viewed it on my Toshiba 50H81, I went nuts! However, I decided to try the THX Optimizer on "Nemo" and it helped temendously! It killed 99% of the halo effect. How can this be intentional? Can someone please elaborate with where proof of this can be found? The first time I saw this it reminded me of the 'ring' around the Starship Enterprise in the early Wrath of Khan. Not too pleasant to see. [​IMG]

8. Larry_N

Larry_N Auditioning

I have a Panasonic 53" hdtv and it does the same thing. In fact it is VERY noticable in the scene where Dori and Marlin are fighting the angler fish at the bottom of the ocean. The glowing part of the angler fish makes the area around Dori and Marlin look like "jello" and Dori is glowing....almost like a fuzz.

[​IMG]

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

The flight of the uber "HT nerds" is soaring again [​IMG]

If I showed my wife or parents this thread they would not believe it [​IMG]

I've seen the halos too and thought something might be off [​IMG]

rogo

10. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

William G, see the post 3 above yours where Joseph Shaw posts:

11. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Just got "Finding Nemo" for Christmas, and we watched it the other night, and in a few (4-5) scenes I noticed a halo effect around both Nemo and Marlin, but it didn't seem to happen to any of the other characters. It kind of reminded me of the old "Star Wars" dogfighting scenes where you could see the matting around the spaceships until they were digitally cleaned up for the special editions. I'm using a Panasonic RP-56 DVD player hooked up to a 65" Mitsubishi WS-65819.

Anyone else notice this? Other than that, the transfer looked incredible, but it surprised me because I hadn't seen it mentioned here or in any reviews.

12. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I noticed this as well.

13. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Thanx for the replies. I missed the comment in the DVD extras about the "glow". I thought it was strange that was the only time I noticed an anomoly like that.

14. John S

John S Producer

well maybe like that. But I notice more and more, that even a soft filter by a director, if not of the best quality starts to look bad as HDTV's can show the optical flaws in the filter itself. Probably an instance where real film has an advantage.

15. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

It's intentional, and talked about in the documentary. The scales of fish reflect light in a certain way that sometimes looks like a halo, and you're seeing Pixar recreate this effect.

You just haven't started at fish as much as they have, I'm guessing [​IMG]

16. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Glad to hear that it's intentional, after all the caveats I was hearing about the transfer, it really threw me for a loop. I saw it in the theaters, but I guess I just don't remember the "halos".

About the only fish I watch are sizzling on a plate in front of me with lemon and butter. Mmmmmm....clownfish....

17. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Great thread! [​IMG]

I noticed this the other day and was disappointed given that I had heard so many positives on the transfer. Funny though, I don't remember seeing that in the theatrical release, but I could be wroong...

18. chris*b

chris*b Stunt Coordinator

I noticed it as well. Of course I also noticed that they actually had a scale texture, something I didn't see on my old 36" TV.[​IMG]

19. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That thread has now been moved to Software and the two threads have been combined here.

M.