What's new

Finding how to disable StartUp apps not in the Startup Group.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've installed the AC97 sound drivers for the on-board sound chip on my EPoX 8kha+ (my old sound card was an ISA card which is no longer supported) and with it it seems to run this sound program called 'SoundMan' and for the life of me I can't find out how to disable it. I know the executable, but would rather not just move it or rename it. I can't find any options or preferences that disable it though, can anybody recommend to me places to look for?

This is in windows 2000...

Jay

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Right-click My Computer >> Manage >> Services & Applications >> Services.

You'll see a whole load of stuff that W2K runs (or doesn't run). There's a good chance you'll see what you're looking for in there.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hmm, nope, don't see it in there. It's weird, I might do an internet search on it, I bet I'm probably not the only one...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OK, I found one and a bunch that I have no idea how it found, but it's basically:

Name.........Type.......Data

SoundMan.....REG_SZ.....SOUNDMAN.EXE

That's the value, should I perhaps delete that key? I'll of course, back up the registry files.. I found a section for Avance Logic (company that writes it)but nothing in there that means anything.. I checked Avances website but it seems to be no help.. Can't find anyting in Epox's knowledgebase either..

Jay

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Don't delete anything yet. The location in the registry to look is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEsoftwaremicrosoftwindowscurr entversionrun

Any other locations you shouldn't have to futz with.

Another possability, I don't recall if this is in W2k or not, do a start>run and type in msconfig, then hit enter. If it's present in 2k it'll have a startup tab where the app should show up.

T

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Msconfig doesn't exist in W2K. They bought it back in XP though.

Apparently the program will work if you copy it into W2K but I've not tried it myself.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yup, I went ahead and deleted it last night so this morning, I checked and it's no longer running... Yippee!!! I also deleted some other keys in there from Gator... When I downloaded Snood, that stupid installer automatically installed Gator and their uninstall program doesn't get rid of the registry stuff so I happen to come across it and deleted those too. But anyway, my problem is done!

I checked that location Thom, but of course I didn't read your your reply til just now so I'm not sure where that was.. But it doesn't seem that the "FIND" command in regedit will tell you where it found it...

Anyway, it's all good again... However, anybody know what that NEROCHECK.EXE is? I found that in the Registry in the diretory too.. Obviously, this has something to do with Nero 5.5 I have installed but kind of curious what that thing does and why it's there...

Jay

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you look, you'll find tons of "startup managers" out there that check all the possible startup locations and give you the choice to disable stuff.
Don't have any specific recommendations but check out this Google Search for instance.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks