Finding a replacement driver

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by AlexRavn, Feb 25, 2005.

1. AlexRavn

AlexRavn Auditioning

Last week my fathers boss, who produces his own music gave me his old speakers which he was going to throw out. He said he paid £200-£300 each for the speakers, but after blowing one of the drivers he wanted to upgrade to a better pair.
    The voice coil on the blown driver needs to be replaced, or the driver itself. The trouble is that the speakers were made in a small batch (mine being no' 294), and I can't find anything about them on the net, not even the company who made them (NAD). All I've got is the number on the speaker which is 172ns05 4493.
    I would very much like to fix the speaker as they are worth quite alot, and the non blown speaker sounds great!, and until I get it fixed I'm playing music through one speaker.
    Your help would help me alot.

Thanks. Alex

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

NAD is a pretty well known manufacturer. I can't tell you anything about those particular speakers but this should get you going in the right direction.

NAD Electronics

-Dave

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've never even seen NAD speakers, so they probably haven't built them in a LONG time. You might just check around E-bay or Audiogon to see if you can get lucky and find another pair or even a single one.

4. AlexRavn

AlexRavn Auditioning

thanks for your help, I spent ages looking on google for any info, but couldnt find the NAD website.
    After looking on the NAD website I think that it must have been a custom job, as the speakers are only about 5 years old.
    I've got the phone number for the local dealer, I'll phone them to ask them.
    Where is a good place to buy drivers from?

I've taken the broken driver apart, to see if I could repair it. The insulation on the voice coil has been 'worn' away in a single vertical line, and has shorted. Could this be a result from some dirt stuck to the magnet? If so, I think it will be wise to replace the driver

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is basically no way for you to replace the voice coil alone, and NAD are probably the only ones who can tell you where you can get the driver.

You can find alternate drivers, if NAD can give you the specs, at www.madisound.com and www.partsexpress.com

6. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

You might be able to repair the voice coil if you are talented with a soldering iron and can splice over the broken connections. I am more inclined to think the voice coil is "open" instead of "shorted".

The most likely reason they were worn down is because the while VC/cone assembly may have been pulled to one side rather than perfectly in the center. It could also be that one side of the spider is stiffer than the other, and when the cone moves in/out it pulls to one side. In either case, if you repair the VC you're going to have to fix the rubbing to prevent a relapse.

Greg

7. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'd go with a single or pair of matching replacement drivers from www.partsexpress.com - try to get the specs you need from NAD first and match as close as you can. They won't sound as good as new but they should be pretty nice!

With a single replacement they'll probably be fine for rear surrounds or casual listening, with matching replacements they may be good enough for anything! [​IMG] Can't beat the price!

9. AlexRavn

AlexRavn Auditioning

Thanks everyone for your help.
    I've contacted my local NAD dealer. They didn't want to release the specs for the driver, but gave me a quote for a replacement, which was £60 ($115). I would have liked to buy two new drivers like Philip said, but I don't think that the quality gained would be worth £60.
    One last thing, I Havn't ordered the driver yet, I will be doing so on Friday. Is it worth the money? The speakers are afew years old, but sound sooo good! [​IMG] .Alex

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

IMO....

YES!!!!! It's worth the money! The swap should be extremely easy to do yourself and you end up with a nice little pair of speakers for £60.

When I was talking about two replacements, that was assuming you wouldn't be able to replace the driver from NAD and had to go aftermarket. Since you can get the replacement directly from the manufacturer, it's a virtual no-brainer! Only get one!!!!!