Find Old School Friends? Why?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Be honest, would you want to find your old school friends?
    [​IMG]

Has anyone actually tried and succeeded?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'm wouldn't use Reunion.com to search for prior contacts because they charge a membership fee. I'm going to my homecoming/10 year HS reunion later this month because I'd like to see what the past decade has done to people that I went to school with. I'm not getting my hopes up on rekindling friendships with but anything is possible, I'm just going cause I'm curious.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I can think of many reasons why I'd like to find old school freinds:

1-Baseball bats
    2-Grenades
    3-Rocket Launchers

Did I mention I didn't like anyone in my high school? [​IMG]

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I have various degrees of contact with my best friends in high school, every couple of weeks, months or even years depending on the person. But the old boys network is very much still there, although they are in the US, Canada, Europe and Africa.

It seems high school was traumatizing to a lot of yanks. 12th grade was the best time of my life, a time of blissful irresponsibility, which seems to be the staple of college life here. College on the other hand was fraught with all the typical immigrant struggle, namely money and integration. So yeah, I remember high school with fondness, and contrarily to most here, I doubt I will ever feel that way about college.

--
    H

5. wally

wally Second Unit

Ah, the 10 year reunion Carl. Mine was filled with posers and not much shuffling among High School castes. Most everyone was there to impress. Expensive cars, suits, important jobs, some had perfect kids, and most importantly the trophy wife. It was a pathetic over priced experience.

Now 20 (several years ago) was much better. I was not exactly a member of the in crowd, but people that had never even looked at me in high school, engaged me in nice conversations. Most people had grown up a lot in those 10 years and were acting like adults. Most of the stud guys were heavier on the scale and lighter in the wallet, mostly to the ex-trophy wife! Oh well, will I attend the big 25? I don’t know, I’ve got two years to decide.

Keep in mind Carl, your mileage may vary. Regardless, good luck.

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Not really. Those that I've wanted to keep in contact with I have. I feel no need to look up those I didn't keep in touch with. That's one of the reasons I didn't go to my 10th reunion and I won't be going to the 20th either. Damn, my 20th is only two years off! >Goes to have a stiff drink.

7. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Try this on for size: The other day I received a telephone call from some woman inquiring about getting a hold of my best friend from my childhood. We haven't really hung out since I was 16 (I'm now 28) and she stated that he listed me as a reference while applying for a job. We sort of parted ways because he pursued certain activies that have no interest to me (and vice versa). I have two questions about this situation:

1. How in the world did he obtain my cell phone number? (not that I wouldn't want him to have it if he asked); and

2. Why would he list me as a reference when I haven't seen him in so long, much less in a professionally related sense?

It would be nice, however a little awkward, to see how his life has been for the past ten years.

8. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i found my 10 year and 20 year reunions to be exactly as wally described (had my 20 in 2002). at the 10 year, there were still the clique hangups and people trying to impress others, where at the 20 people seemed genuinely happy to see and talk to you, without trying to impress you with what they've been doing. we appear to be growing up.[​IMG]

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I guess I'm a couple years from my 10 year reuinion, will I go? hell no [​IMG]
    I haven't spoken with a single person from my HS since graduation night.

10. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

i'm going into 10th grade.

but i think that when its time for my 10 year i'm going to show up in a 1985 crown vic with half a hood and a donut tire on the front left, a white stained undershirt and some golf shorts... with my socks rolled waaay up my legs and some birkenstock sandals.

just because i can [​IMG]

11. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Whats with all the animosity towards high school? I wasn't the most popular person on the planet, but I certainly had enough friends to keep me happy. There were a lot of good times, and I certainly don't have any regrets. Most of the stuff that went on, while it seemed very serious to me at the time, really wasn't that important after all. I hope that more people can look back and just laugh, and leave all that other crap like grudges and what not in the past where it belongs.

As for university, I am going into my second year this fall, and found a lot of last year to be hell, at the time. But even now I am looking back with fondness about how worried I was over certain things, appreciating how much fun I had, etc. Whats the point of getting angry over stuff that really has no effect on the future. Would I go to a high school reunion? Sure, why not.

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

13. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

The other side of the coin is that they could still be doing better than you, and that you'll have to retreat the the A/V closet for the rest of the night.

14. James~P

my high school must be unusually friendly.

but anyway, i grew up as friends with the cool kids back in the wee years of of our lives before it mattered how athletic or attractive you were... then later on made friends with the "geeks.." then with the "punks" and by now theres prolly one or two people in the high school that i CANT go up to and say 'hi'

i still think that going to a reuinion and making fun of someone is terribly immature.. and if i was wealthy enough to be making fun of them, i'd prolly try and help them out.

people are still people, and you shouldnt want anyone to be misrable..

15. wally

wally Second Unit

16. James~P

wally are you implying i wear golf shorts? [​IMG]

17. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

My 10th is coming up in November and I think I'll skip it. I think it will be exactly as Wally described times ten. My two best friends are from high school and we still hang out and could care less about what everyone else is doing. I'm happy with the fact that my close friends know exactly what is going on in my life right now and for the past ten years. I can't imagine spending a nite explaining that information over and over and over.......to people I wont see for another ten years.

18. andrew markworthy

There's a site for people who went to my old school (organised by someone in my year, as it happens). Interesting in that you can see what's happened to them (almost universally the answer is 'made more money than me' [​IMG] ). However, if the site hadn't existed I wouldn't have bothered finding out.

19. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

An interesting thing about going to reunions if you weren't one of the popular students back in school is that people might treat you better than you expect, and you may wonder if you could've been part of the in-crowd back then.

Plus it's worth it just to see how fat the bastards from the swim & track teams have gotten. [​IMG]

> Be honest, would you want to find your old school friends?

I think those sites are a great idea for those who use them. How else would you find someone after 10 or 20 years, knowing only the name, age, & where they went to school? (And if it's a woman, odds are good she has married and changed her last name.)

20. wally

wally Second Unit