What's new

Financial Times short article on SACD and DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Who cares which engineers like PCM or DSD the most! It's evident that SA-CD is going to be more widespread as a release format. That doesn't mean that we won't see DVD-A used for some releases in the future. I prefer SACD as a music only format but mixed media ( A & V content) will proably pop up on DVD-A for a long time to come, which is hunky dory with me.

If uni players are gonna be as widespread as it seems they might, releases might be based on need? I'm not anti-DVD-A. I bought one this week. Even if Warner commits to SA-CD, I don't think that means an absolute dead end for DVD-A.

We ought to quit wasting so much virtual ink on this forum babbling about format warz. We ought to all resolve to write more reviews for each other of music discs that we obtain.
I pledge to write a new review this week.:)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Rachael, I agree. DVD-A has tools for the PC and will continue to be around for independents and musicians too. Even the Hatfield's and McCoys have made-up and their feud went on for a lot longer period.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

While Telarc is using pure DSD recording chains for many of their SACD titles, this is entirely untrue regarding Sony. Sony is doing almost zero new recordings in DSD, and has released almost zero (may be actually be zero) pure DSD SACD of recent recordings. On some Sony SACD they have gone directly from analog to DSD for older recordings, but I know for a fact that on most of their Jazz (and rock and pop) SACD that they used existing 24 bit PCM masters as the source for their SACD releases. Either way, in both of these scenarios the recording chain would not be considered "pure" DSD. Please keep misinformation to a minimum Lee.

J

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
OK Lee, I'll be the devil's advocate here. Why would Silverline stop releasing their stuff? Somebody's buying them and somebody's granting them rights. Then there could be even smaller outfits or individual artists doing them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks