Finaly, an explanation why R4 gets P&S only of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angsty, May 8, 2002.

1. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

Well,
    After months of pleas for an explanation, ignored online petitions and un-answered snail mail, $2Warner here in Australia have finally explained why R4 is only getting the P&S version of Harry Potter...
    Is seems that R4 is _such_ a small market that they are saving costs by only having to print one version of the cover slick - not printing one for P&S and one for widescreen.
    (Seriously, I'm not joking here!!)
    Well, with shoddy practices such as this title in R4, I don't see them picking up any additional market share!
    Angela [​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Here's the ACTUAL reason

Australia is a funky market. Basically Aussies have been getting screwed so long, that people habitually import. Thereby undermining domestic releases.

So the more they screw you, the more you import, and the low sales make it easier for them to justify screwing you

Total catch 22

3. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Interesting observation Jeff, I totally agree... The same could also be said of the videogame market, another area we get screwed in.

4. Carl Hood

Carl Hood Extra

Yep. Nothing really surprises me anymore, but the reason, if true, does seem trite. Anyhow, no way will I the buy the R4 P&S version.

I've recently ordered the WS version (R2) from Blackstar in the UK. Great mob of people to deal with ... ! Highly recommend them.

Looking forward to its arrival early next week.

Carl.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Unfortunately things like this happen in R2-land too. R2 isn't just one block nowadays either, we have R2 in scandinavia, in some cases R2 Sweden only, R2 UK only...

I myself recently fell prey to the R2 Sweden phenomenon; bought a movie and it was one that had forced subtitles. At least it was OAR...

But not too long ago, Disney's Atlantis was released P&S only in Scandinavia. Protests went pretty much ignored there too...

6. YANG

YANG Second Unit

R3 DVDs from ASIA had suffered that same fate too,discs that reach the store shelves yesterday are all fullscreen versions.These discs are not edited versions,they are the same theatrical cut as the U.S release.

R3 HARRY POTTER have three spoken language,english EX,cantonese(dubbed) EX,and taiwanese mandarin(dubbed) EX.Subtitles are ENGLISH,CHINESE and INDONESIAN.

On R2 release,there are several reports saying that the R2 version have playback problems with players from some manufacturers,most notably TOSHIBA.

7. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Some time ago (just over a month), I decided to contact Warner Home Video here in Sydney and ask them why they were not releasing WS as well as P&S.

The woman in Customer Service that I spoke with, informed me that the P&S decision was taken because it was a family movie. When I informed her that the USA, UK, Europe, and Japan were all getting WS, she said that that was all very well but that nothing anyone could say would change the decision made here. She suggested that I order from offshore if I wanted WS (which I have done - from Japan).

When I pressed her further remarking that the sales of WS TVs now outstripped the sales of 4:3 sets, she argued that there were still far more households that owned 4:3 sets and that the decision had been taken because they do not want to watch an image that only uses 60% (or whatever it was) of the screen.

When I asked her why Warners were not giving any consideration to those who are investing in new technology, she suggested that our discussion (argument) was not going anywhere and that we should just call an end to it. At one point she did offer to put me through to the person who was responsible for making the decision, but surprise surprise, he was not available.

Believe me when I say that it was a very frustrating call and I have to admit to losing my cool on more than one occassion.

regards, Tim...

8. stephen abbot

And now for the real joke, on a couple of other R4 forums several folk have received their R2 WS copies from UK, and have found that they are infact region coded R2/R4.

It is not uncommon that R2/R4 discs exist, but they are normally released in both regions. What a joke!

Cheers

Stephen

9. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

So, lets recap the situation here:
    $2Warner refuses to release a WS of Harry Potter in R4, yet the R2 version is dual encoded for R2/R4.
    So, they could have released a WS version in R4, its just that they didn't want to.
    You gotta laugh at the sheer incompetence displayed by these amateurs and their blatant contempt for the R4 market.
    *sigh* Why are these bozos still in business????
    Angela [​IMG]

10. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

11. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Actually, it was Egmont, and I got the same explanation when I whined at them. [​IMG]

12. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Who can figure the logic of studios/distributors. Here in California, I order a lot of my DVDs from Australia or England just because the titles are not available in an anamorphic widescreen format in the States or even not available in non-anamorphic widescreen, such as Time Cop and The Croupier, to name the first two titles off the top of my head. The studios are forcing fans to get a player that has the ability to be multi-region and play both PAL and NTSC discs.

I can see why the studios don't want to release every title worldwide at the same time, but I still think they would be better off releasing everything at the same time and in the same dual anamorphic widescreen and pan & scan format. In the short run they might lose a little money, but in the long run they would come out ahead by giving people what they want. Ultimately, one way or another, be it with hacked equipment, or even bootlegged DVDs, the consumer gets what they want. You can't stop them, only slow them down, and piss them off in the process.

Last note: I still haven't heard anyone give a satisfactory explanation as to why the studios have not taken advantage of DVD's ability to convert widescreen titles to pan & scan on the fly so that one release could serve all tastes.

13. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

14. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

This maybe a bit off topic but since this is also about ordering titles outside your home country, I thought I should post...
    Well anyway, here in Finland they are thinking of passing a law that would make it ILLEGAL for consumers to order books, CD's, DVD's from outside the EU. So basically, if the law is passed as it is being suggested, it would make a person who orders a perfectly legimate book from Amazon.com which is a legimate company, a criminal. Other things affect: MP3, region hacks, CD/DVD-ROM etc. It has got something to do with copyright issues. This is not finalized yet and hopefully it will never get passed.
    If Finland is going somewhere with this, the rest of EU won't be far behind.
    For lack of a better word, this is utter bu*****t. There is something very wrong here. This thing in no way prevents piracy etc. Instead it encourages to it. If a person can't order, lets say a book that is not available in the EU but only in Japan, the consumer doesn't get the book, the retailer doesn't sell it and doesn't get profits and the creator/artist won't get the royalties. Nobody wins.
    for more info go to www.effi.org (finnish only)
    and http://www.effi.org/linkit.html which has links to other countries' Electronic Frontier pages.

15. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

If Warner are happy to lose money to overseas imports, I'm happy to oblige them. This issue has received a lot of publicity in the local press, and I hope it bites them in the ass in a big way.

Hey, Eric, cool to see another Tasmanian on the HTF, btw...

16. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'm from Tassie too. Wow. Contrary to popular belief, we aren't technologically ignorant!