FINALS!!! Arrrrggggghhhh

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Allow me to vent. I have six, count em, 6 two hour finals starting tomorrow and lasting until wednesday. GRRRRRRRRR [​IMG] Pray for me.

2. andrew markworthy

Chuck, speaking as a professor, I can assure you we look forward to marking exam work with about equal enthusiasm.

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Andrew, professor of what, and which uni?

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

ha! then why bother with finals?

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You only have 6? Granted I'm in High School, but I still get 7. This year I get them for....

French 3 Honors

English 2

Advanced Algebra Honors

Biology Honors

World Cultures

Television Production

Introduction to Programming/Pascal

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Morgan Jolley

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How did you end up with 6 in 4 days? Are you in some professional college. Worst I've ever had was two in one day then a third a day later with two more that were spread out around these three. The exam schedule where I go (I suppose it's went now, wrote the last one today) to school is spread out over 3/4 of a month and almost always you have at least a day between each exam and often several days.
    And as hard as they are to study for and write, I do pity most of the professors who have to mark them [​IMG] much worse than writing them.

8. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The worst I had were 3 finals on the Monday of finals week.

9. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have three finals in 24 hours next week. I'm mad but there is nothing I can do about. Life goes on...

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

11. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Worst I had was an open-book, open-notes, no-partners, unlimited time, take-home, on-your-honor exam.

Took 13.5 hours.

Fun stuff. Really. Thermal.

Mike

P.S.: If you broke the honor code, you usually got kicked out of school; happened to some folks, though not in that class.

12. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Fifteen years after my last final [​IMG], I still have the occasional nightmare where I dream I have forgotten to study for (Organic Chemistry, Neuroanatomy, Companion Animal Medicine, pick one) and the final is in 15 minutes. Wake up in a panic.
    It never goes away.

13. Dome Vongvises

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Ha!
    I enjoy your suffering [​IMG] Just think once you graduate there's a good chance you will spend 8 hours a day in a Sensory Depravation Chamber ...er... "cube" working for The Man [​IMG] Actually my cube as a window so I am lucky.
    I do still sometimes have the "The final is in 15 minutes and I forgot to go to class all smester dream" too. Even worse is the "forced to go back to High School dream" now that one is REALLY scary! [​IMG]

15. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

16. andrew markworthy

I don't want to start a 'you American students have it easy' topic, but you American students have it easy.

In Brit universities, exams are almost always compacted into a one or two week period. At Oxford, where I went, your finals (which were your *sole* assessment other than some basic exams after two terms - so in other words, your degree class and future rested on them) were taken in one week. 8 three-hour exams (all essays, no multiple choice, and all closed book). I had five in three days (boy, that was fun). Oxford being Oxford, you also had to do them whilst wearing a particular outfit. For men, this was a black gown, dark suit, white shirt and white boy tie. If you weren't wearing this outfit, you were refused entry to the exam hall (and I swear I am *not* making this up). Women had a similar dress code, but I remember one woman in my year who subverted it. At our first exam, she turned up in a black micro-mini, black stockings (tops and garter belt clearly visible under the bottom of the skirt), white transparent blouse and obviously nothing underneath. A friend sitting next to me in the exam hall gave this strangled cry as she walked past - he'd sucked so hard on the end of his ballpoint pen, he'd sucked the ink out. I was above such things - it's mere coincidence that I produced my worst paper of my finals that day.

Generally, Brit universities have moved over to a modular system, and work is examined at the end of the semester in which it's completed, so 'finals' in the sense of not being examined until the end of the year has largely disappeared now. However, exams are nearly always concentrated into one week (usually two weeks after the end of teaching) and as students take four modules per semester, that's up to four exams per semester they can look forward to.

17. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

18. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Andrew,
    almost none of my finals were open-book. That one was very much the exception. And mostly because the level of knowledge being tested was application, not memorization. Our prof, Dr. Chapman (awesome fellow, too, loved his courses!), insisted that we know how to resolve thermal problems, not memorize large batches of equations.
    They were also of the 3-hour variety. No dress code (that story of yours is hilarious! [​IMG]); honor system. Almost always essay, few multiple-choice (Psych 101 was, some Chemistry 101 stuff). Had one lady take her exam in the buff... interesting. No, it was not AbPsych. But it was Humanities.
    Most courses added mid-terms; the two tests together added up to 70-80% of final grade, with weekly 10-minute quizzes often making up the remainder, or labs. Sometimes, just the two tests, then it was 40/60 or 50/50. If either of the latter, they were 3-hour exams also.
    Btw, my university (Rice U., Houston), required people to take courses out of their specialization, 24 hours out of 128. For me, (ME) that meant Psych, Economics, German, History, etc. Excellent idea, IMHO.
    Mike

19. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

When you say Americans have it easy, I believe you're referring to the "liberal" education most schools (including my own) instill. We have two 15 week semesters with finals given on the 16th and 32nd week of each semester. Other schools use 10-week quarters (the fourth quarter is during summer). To define what it means to get a liberal education, I'd like to quote some exerpts from our school's Plan for a Liberal Education:

So in other words, a large percentage of my education is devoted to an area outside my major. When the surveys come flying around class asking if the 4 goals for a liberal education have been met, I say yes, I have learned a great deal from them.

20. Dome Vongvises

andrew markworthy