What's new

Finally!!! (1 Viewer)

tim_Neil

Agent
I made the plunge and bought the first few components of my starter home theater setup (on Saturday!). I have been a member on this site since June/July and many of you helped me with my selection. I am so very happy with what I purchased (thank you Home Theater Forum Members). It was quite funny in the last couple months concerning salesman at Best Buy, Circuit City and Soundtrack: It seems they are little or sometimes no help when asked challenging questions. I would sift through the posts here to find out my answers and I ALWAYS found an answer somewhere. It was bothersome to go to the store and find out NOTHING from the salespeople.
I have a budget setup:

---Denon 1803 receiver- Will be put to the test tomorrow night when I receive all of my speakers.
---JBL s38's (1 pair here... 1 pair to arrive tomorrow for the surround speakers)
These were such an awesome choice. The sound is great from this 3 way speaker!
I'm anxious to see how they perform as surrounds!
---S-Center (on its way) From what I heard... its going to sound great.
--- No sub at this time
I will update when I get it all put together.

I do have a couple quick questions:
What kind of speaker should I use for my 6th rear channel (es/ex)?

Unfortunately, I am using a Cheapo tv and DVD player (my parents shop cheap for Xmas) The tv is an old RCA (with only a coaxial output.... yuck!) The DVD is a LASONIC???? I have never heard of this brand before. Its a horrible dvd player but it does have a digital audio output (coaxial). My question is: Should I use my playstation2 as my DVD or stick with the Lasonic (I will get a Sony 755 w/SACD capabilities soon)? I can't really tell the difference in the audio output (sounds pretty good to me). I can't even tell if it will output DTS.

Third and final question: Which Digital audio format is better, optic cable or coaxial? Why?

Thanks again HTF! You have all been so helpful and have made me a very happy man!

T

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Third and final question: Which Digital audio format is better, optic cable or coaxial? Why?
This is discussed in the FAQ. Short answer is get the cheaper option (75ohm coax cable) unless you have a ground loop issue (then use optical). FWIW, optical and coax are a connection, not a format (DD, DTS, etc. are formats).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks