Finally upgrading network and PC...just waiting on parts...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WoodyH, Nov 23, 2001.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I'm just pretty jazzed about this, and felt like babbling for a few. [​IMG]
    Living in Anchorage, I got very spoiled with the setup I had in my apartment there. I had a cable modem connection which fed five computers in my household - I own 2 Macs (one original iMac and one B&W G3) and one PC (slapdash DIY machine made from a bunch of parts I was given that hardly works; 200Mhz Pentium w/64Mb RAM on an ancient half-dead motherboard), plus both of my roommates had PC's. Was a nice setup, and we had a lot of fun with it.
    I moved to Seattle a few months ago, and spent my first few months with little to no 'net access, as it took forever for my computers to get down here. About two weeks ago I got everything here, and have just been able to scrape together the cash to not only get a broadband connection, but to upgrade my PC to something useable!
    So, within the next week (would've been late this week, but I kind of forgot the whole Thanksgiving thing when I was ordering the pieces...doh!), I get all sorts of new goodies, and get to reconfigure my network.
    The PC is getting upgraded to an ECS K7S5A motherboard with a 1.2Ghz Athlon and 256Mb DDR RAM (and getting a fresh, solid install of Win2k Pro, as I finally ordered my own copy rather than (ahem) 'borrowing' friends'), my Speakeasy DSL 1.5D/128U line gets installed in about 2 weeks, and I've got a Linksys router coming in to be my router/firewall. Very excited about this...will finally have a PC that runs decently (rather than slowly limping along and crashing everytime someone in the room sneezes...and that's not that much of an exaggeration), and will be online at decent speeds rather than the 56k dialup I'm coping with at the moment. Woohoo!
    If I'm thinking right, my network should be something like this by the time I'm done...

/----< HUB

2. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Woohoo! Got the motherboard and processor in today! [​IMG] The DSL modem won't be here until...um...maybe next week sometime?...but while the network won't be up for a bit, I can at least get the PC upgraded to something that works decently.
    Now I've just gotta make it through until I can find the time to gut and rebuild the PC...hmmm...wonder if I can bail early? [​IMG]

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Woody,
    I'm not familiar with the Linksys routers, but I use a Netgear router. Using it, I can put all of my machines behind it, and then open up ports to foward to a specific machine. Using port forwarding, your network would look like this:
    -- DSL --> Linksys Router -> All machines
    The router probably has more than one port on the back (if it doesn't, just add a hub, which it looks like you already have). Configure the router to use NAT and DHCP for all machines behind it. Create a DHCP range of a decent size (my neatgear only supports a DHCP range of 32 addresses), and then put the Mac on the same network, but assign it an address outside of the DHCP range. Then configure the port forwarding to pass HTTP traffic (port 80) and DNS traffic (port 53 for both TCP and UDP) to the IP that you've assigned the Mac. Now your mac is more secure than it was before, since most of its ports are behind the natted address.
    I added an Airport Base Station to my network recently. Its the coolest thing. EVER! [​IMG]

4. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

As I've been reading the Linksys instruction manual, I've been playing with the idea of working with the port forwarding to be able to put the iMac inside the firewall. All this firewall stuff is relatively new to me - the last time I was working with a decent sized home network (2 Macs and 3 PC's) one of my roommates knew enough *nix to be able to decidate one of his PCs to handling all that itself. Since he did that all on his own, this is my first time experimenting with all this.
    I may end up trying it both ways just to see what I like better. Since the webserver is running OS X, I should be able to configure its BSD-based firewall to keep it locked down pretty solid without having to mess with the ports on the Linksys router. Besides, since my DSL line comes with two static IP addy's, I might as well use 'em both (one for the webserver, the second for the Linksys leading to the rest of the network), right? [​IMG]
    Airport would be a very cool toy to play with - if I had a single machine that had wireless capabilities! [​IMG] Sometimes I wish I could afford to pick up the latest and greatest goodies...but then, I'm doing fairly well with what I've got, too.
    Thanks for the suggestions, too. I'll keep playing with it - that's the point of new toys, right? [​IMG]