1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Finally upgraded my camera strap

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I decided I'm going to stick with my usual two-camera approach and swap the flash when needed. I can detach the flash with my left hand while bringing the camera up with my right. Flash swapping is a lot faster than a lens swap. Plus, I don't really anticipate needing to do it that often. I'll have a second flash with me just in case though.

Eventually I may try out Peak's gadget.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Again, 2 camera users should definitely go with a Black Rapid Double.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have a double sling strap, but have yet to use it in a real world scenario. The secondary camera on a Peak Capture has so far worked pretty well, mainly because it's basically locked in place on my left side. With another sling strap on the left, I feel like it'd be another thing to manage from swinging around when I get into non-standing positions or when I have to lean forward or to the side. Plus, with having to do a flash swap, it helps to have the second camera in a fixed location, rather than having to bring it up from my side and into position, something I already have to do with the primary camera.

I WILL try the double strap at some point, but on something non-critical.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just ordered a BosStrap for my Canon 5D3. I have a Black Rapid for my 7D2, but need the tripod mount free for a mounting plate on the 5D3, so a BR was not an attractive option. The BosStrap attaches to the body's camera strap lugs instead of the tripod mount. After spending a week on a Caribbean cruise with the Black Rapid attached to the 5D3, I decided I preferred a shoulder sling strap over my Op/Tech neck strap (I left the tripod at home for the cruise, so the BR worked fine). It should be here on Monday.

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  6. Scott Merryfield

That doesn't look as comfortable as my Black Rapid strap.

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Agreed. But some of the posters here seem to have objection to BR for reasons I cannot fathom, despite the copious support from those of us who recommend them at every turn

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Even in your own post above: rather than buying a Swiss plate with an auxiliary hole at its bottom, you chose to invest in a whole new strap :)

9. Scott Merryfield

In my defense , the new strap was for a different camera body. The Black Rapid strap stays on my 7D2, so I needed another strap for the 5D3. I do not need a tripod plate for the 7D2, as my telephoto lens has a tripod foot . So, the Black Rapid works great with that body. The BosStrap works well with the 5D3, but it wasn't as comfortable until I added the separate padding.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. Scott Merryfield

I just ordered a Peak Design Slide camera strap for my Canon 5D3. While the BosStrap with the separate pad was comfortable, it's been too bulky and a little cumbersome to use these past couple of years, mainly because of the added pad. So I'm going to give the Peak Design a try. The reviews look very good, and the strap can be used as either a neck, shoulder or sling -- I will probably use it mostly as a sling.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The title of this thread suits me to a "T."

Being the ignorant guy I am, I never realized that someone had "invented a better mousetrap" in terms of camera straps...until I read something in the GAS thread.

I had been using the strap provided with the camera...ever since I started shooting back in the '80s with an Olympus OM-10 and eventually graduated to a Canon EOS a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one thing I hated most about that situation is that every time I bent over the camera would hang freely from my neck and inevitably clunk into the head of a dog or grandchild! They also would make my neck sore if worn all day (like on a Disney vacation).

So for Christmas I received a BlackRapid "Breathe" Cross Body Strap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just swapped them out the other day as I've got a couple shoots coming up. What a difference!

Another satisfied customer (of the suggestions from the resident HTF photography experts)! Thanks, guys! :D

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The right strap, check
    Handsome dog, check
    Speakers in the background, check

WINNING.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  13. Rodulf44

Rodulf44 Guest

Some time ago I found perfect vintage style hand made camera strap. Looks amazing, light, strong.
    Tiny company from Hong Kong: https://thebanditco.bigcartel.com/product/camera-shoulder-strap
    It's the strap I would design. Well there is one thing I changed - ring from silver to gold/brass for more vintage look.

Shipped really fast to Germany (event without extra tax).