What's new

Finally upgraded my camera strap (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I decided I'm going to stick with my usual two-camera approach and swap the flash when needed. I can detach the flash with my left hand while bringing the camera up with my right. Flash swapping is a lot faster than a lens swap. Plus, I don't really anticipate needing to do it that often. I'll have a second flash with me just in case though.

Eventually I may try out Peak's gadget.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a double sling strap, but have yet to use it in a real world scenario. The secondary camera on a Peak Capture has so far worked pretty well, mainly because it's basically locked in place on my left side. With another sling strap on the left, I feel like it'd be another thing to manage from swinging around when I get into non-standing positions or when I have to lean forward or to the side. Plus, with having to do a flash swap, it helps to have the second camera in a fixed location, rather than having to bring it up from my side and into position, something I already have to do with the primary camera.

I WILL try the double strap at some point, but on something non-critical.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just ordered a BosStrap for my Canon 5D3. I have a Black Rapid for my 7D2, but need the tripod mount free for a mounting plate on the 5D3, so a BR was not an attractive option. The BosStrap attaches to the body's camera strap lugs instead of the tripod mount. After spending a week on a Caribbean cruise with the Black Rapid attached to the 5D3, I decided I preferred a shoulder sling strap over my Op/Tech neck strap (I left the tripod at home for the cruise, so the BR worked fine). It should be here on Monday.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Agreed. But some of the posters here seem to have objection to BR for reasons I cannot fathom, despite the copious support from those of us who recommend them at every turn

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Even in your own post above: rather than buying a Swiss plate with an auxiliary hole at its bottom, you chose to invest in a whole new strap :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even in your own post above: rather than buying a Swiss plate with an auxiliary hole at its bottom, you chose to invest in a whole new strap :)
In my defense , the new strap was for a different camera body. The Black Rapid strap stays on my 7D2, so I needed another strap for the 5D3. I do not need a tripod plate for the 7D2, as my telephoto lens has a tripod foot . So, the Black Rapid works great with that body. The BosStrap works well with the 5D3, but it wasn't as comfortable until I added the separate padding.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just ordered a Peak Design Slide camera strap for my Canon 5D3. While the BosStrap with the separate pad was comfortable, it's been too bulky and a little cumbersome to use these past couple of years, mainly because of the added pad. So I'm going to give the Peak Design a try. The reviews look very good, and the strap can be used as either a neck, shoulder or sling -- I will probably use it mostly as a sling.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The title of this thread suits me to a "T."

Being the ignorant guy I am, I never realized that someone had "invented a better mousetrap" in terms of camera straps...until I read something in the GAS thread.

I had been using the strap provided with the camera...ever since I started shooting back in the '80s with an Olympus OM-10 and eventually graduated to a Canon EOS a few years ago.

full

full

The one thing I hated most about that situation is that every time I bent over the camera would hang freely from my neck and inevitably clunk into the head of a dog or grandchild! They also would make my neck sore if worn all day (like on a Disney vacation).

So for Christmas I received a BlackRapid "Breathe" Cross Body Strap:

full

full

I just swapped them out the other day as I've got a couple shoots coming up. What a difference!

Another satisfied customer (of the suggestions from the resident HTF photography experts)! Thanks, guys! :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked up this Altura Photo Rapid Fire Professional Quick Release Camera Strap for my new Canon EOS R body. It's similar to a Black Rapid strap, but has a plate that attaches to the tripod socket which allows for quick attachment / detachment of the strap. The plate also has another tripod thread for attaching your normal plate if needed.

With this smaller body, quite often I do not want a strap connected at all. This Altura allows me to connect and disconnect the strap quickly. It's comfortable -- similar to the Black Rapid I have for my Canon 7D2 + EF 100-400mm combo.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
With this smaller body, quite often I do not want a strap connected at all.

Yeah, I’m finding the same w/ my Z6 as well... though I haven’t used it w/ any hefty-ish glass, except on tripod usually for video.

Not exactly sure where I’m at w/ the Peak Design wrist strap that I bought for it. I’m often (enough) forgetting to either connect it or wear the strap — and doing certain things like lens change problematic while connected...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just ordered a Peak Design Slide camera strap for my Canon 5D3. While the BosStrap with the separate pad was comfortable, it's been too bulky and a little cumbersome to use these past couple of years, mainly because of the added pad. So I'm going to give the Peak Design a try. The reviews look very good, and the strap can be used as either a neck, shoulder or sling -- I will probably use it mostly as a sling.
I came across this post of mine from 2018 as I was about to discuss my latest purchase, a Peak Design Capture ver 3. As I was trying out the Capture, I started looking at Peak Design's straps, as they look like they would work better with it than my current Black Rapid shoulder straps. I didn't remember buying the Peak Design Slide six years ago, even after seeing on Amazon that I had bought it in 2018! You know what they say, the memory is the 2nd thing to go -- I forget what the first thing is. :laugh:

Anyway, I bought the Capture as a replacement for my current Black Widow Spider Holster, which works great, but only with a small camera + small lens. I want to be able to use such a device to carry something larger, and the Capture (along with the Pro Pad) looks like it will do the trick. However, it only works with a Peak Design tripod plate, and not with the Black Rapid plate I currently use along with a BR strap on my Canon R6 Mark II (or with the other 3rd party plates I have). So, since I already have the Peak Design Slide, I am going to try their strap solution for awhile. I also ordered a Peak Design Cuff to replace the two cheap wrist straps I had permanently attached to the R6m2 and Canon R10 bodies (they were too difficult to remove quickly). I should be able to easily interchange the PD Cuff and Slide between the two bodies using their anchor links.

I will give the new items a trial run when we head back to South Carolina later this month. I really like my current Black Rapid straps, except for one thing. While the BR straps are easily removed from the camera when using their standard tripod connector, disconnecting the strap from Black Rapid's tripod plate can be cumbersome. The hook on the carabiner gets caught on the tightening ring on the plate and takes some manipulation to get on or off. With the Peak Design setup, I can leave their low profile tripod plates and anchor links permanently attached to each body, and should be able to quickly and easily attach/remove the strap and cuff when needed. I already had two Peak Design tripod plates -- one came with the Capture, and one with the travel tripod I bought last year.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I also bought that PD Capture v3 + ProPad back around BF week... but haven't actually tried/used them yet... and you just made me realize the L bracket I also bought soon after probably won't actually work (well, if at all) w/ the Capture, LOL. Ah well, too late now... :blush::lol: Not sure, but maybe I'll only use it w/ SLR lens adapter or tele lens collar or maybe sporadically only w/ my D800, which won't have L bracket on it...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I also bought that PD Capture v3 + ProPad back around BF week... but haven't actually tried/used them yet... and you just made me realize the L bracket I also bought soon after probably won't actually work (well, if at all) w/ the Capture, LOL. Ah well, too late now... :blush::lol: Not sure, but maybe I'll only use it w/ SLR lens adapter or tele lens collar or maybe sporadically only w/ my D800, which won't have L bracket on it...

_Man_
I saw those lens changing adapters for the Capture 3 when watching the video on their site. That's a clever use for the device, but probably not something I would use based on how I shoot.

I bought the Capture for a few different uses: (1) For times I want to carry two bodies. I don't really like having a body draped over each shoulder. (2) For carrying a small body + lens while bicycling (we don't ride very long distances anymore, but do ride around Mackinac Island and from our house to our little downtown during the summer months). (3) For times when I want to hike or simply walk around unencumbered without a camera across my shoulder.

The Black Widow holster I had worked well with my old Canon M50 + a small EF-M lens. However, it did not distribute the weight well on a larger, heavier setup -- plus the lens pointed away from the body instead of down, making carrying a larger lens awkward. With my current equipment, it really only works with the Canon R10 + either RF-S 10-18mm or RF-S 18-150mm -- and that latter lens sticks out a little too much for my comfort when walking in tighter spaces.

The Capture should solve the issues I had with the Black Widow. I already tried my Canon R6m2 full frame with RF 100-400mm lens, and it worked well. That's probably as big of a setup as I will attach to the Capture. When we visit Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina, I want to carry my R10 + RF 800mm f/11 plus R6m2 + RF 100-400mm for shooting birds and alligators. At other places, I sometimes want to carry the R6m2 + RF 24-105mm f/4 L plus the R10 with either the RF 100-400mm or RF-S 10-18mm. I will also sometimes walk around with just the R10 + RF-S 18-150mm.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I use a Peak Capture and Pro Pad on the webbing rail of my Think Tank Retrospective bag. I usually don't remove the bag from my shoulder, so having a place to temporarily holster the camera without having to put it back in the bag has been a nice convenience when I need to use both hands for something or just want to take a break but have my camera on standby. I owned an older version of the Capture and Pro Pad, and I like the much simpler and cleaner designs of the latest versions. Should note this set up only works if you carry the Think Tank bag on your right side. If you carry on the left, the webbing rail will be behind you.

PXL_20240316_021141700.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks