Finally up and running on XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Finally have XP up and running, and aside from the nightmare OS install from hell that I never want to have to deal with again-it's great.

Had a little problem with the XP disc having a corrupted file on it. Do a search for "controls.man" and you'll find more than a few people bitching about this one. Installed 2000 just so I could burn another XP disc that worked, but ended up not booting. Had to boot from the bad disc and switch to the good one halfway through.

The good: Built in DSL support, and automatic installation of network printers are just a couple of nice surprises. Plus all of the features that I know and love from NT are on a games-capable machine (like process-level control). Also, they finally seem to have made it simple to migrate data from Outlook express (you could do it before, but it was never pretty).

The Bad: Too much autoplay-I've managed to turn it off for everything but application discs-any way to get rid of this? I don't need windows telling me when I put a CD in the drive-I know I did dammit! Also, changing "minimize all" to "show desktop" is still bugging me, and the "find files" command isn't accessible by KB only anymore-you have to click through the "search companion". Just a little thing, but I used that a LOT.

The Ugly: The windows XP "new look". Took a little fiddling, but I set everything back to the way I like it. Glad that they let you stick with the "classic" UI-the new one just seems to waste too much space for my tastes.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]
    I had an interesting time upgrading to XP as well from ME. It took about 2 weeks to get everything the way I wanted it. Had to download a couple of drivers as well on top of that for a couple of devices. The upgrade certainly was not as smooth as I would have liked although I am happy with the final result. It has some great features that I like. Although it has the snapshop feature to restore your system into the past (which actually works when I tried it), nothing beats having an actual backup of your whole system which I have also done on a second HDD.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I installed XP on a fresh new computer, it was a very comfortable process... After some tweaking, it works great. I run Diskeeper defragmenter daily, and its running very nicely... no huge nagging errors/crashes, its awesome...
    Go out and find yourself some cool themes/bootscreens/login screens, personalize it! [​IMG] (check out themexp.org to start off)

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I never upgrade OS's; always a clean install. Especially when the old and new OS use different file systems (ME with FAT32 and XP with NTFS).

5. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Here's a another way to disable autoplay altogether.
    You can disable autoplay by running the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) and selecting Administrative Templates > System >Turn Off Autoplay. (To run the Group Policy Editor, type "gpedit.msc" in the Start menu's "Run..." box.) Another way to control autoplay is to right-click the CD's icon in Explorer, then select the Autoplay tab under "Properties".
    If this isn't what you were looking for, I apologize. I know how annoying autoplay is...if all else fails you can always hold down the shift key when you insert the disc to prevent autoplay. [​IMG]