What's new

Finally Time to Taste What I've Been Missing (1 Viewer)

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
1st post here -- this is a great forum.
Looking for ideas now to take the next steps. First jumped into HT back in early '96 when I laid out for an H/K AVR80 receiver(DPL only w/5.1 inputs), AR338 mains, AR228 surrounds, a/d/s ms3/u sub. Then got shellshocked when the external DD decoder came out for a mere $800. Ummm, I'm waiting on that one still ;o) Of course these decoders came down in price. Then DTS surfaced, and I waited on that too.
Believe it or not, the single most reason I'm back in serious buying mode now is DPL II -- for our DirecTv, NFL Sunday Ticket, lotsa PPVs on S-VHS tape. I will finally get a DVD player to watch on the Mits 4:3 RPTV (s-vid in only), and look forward to watching some DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 DVDs (though few today) -- talk about your late adoption of technology, huh?! Recommend an under $300 DVD player that offers decent interlaced viewing (we're keeping the non-HDTV Mits for another 3-4 years ).
I'm considering another flagship 6.1 or 7.1 receiver, or a lesser receiver and pairing it with a multichannel amp. My thinking is after 2 years something else will come along that I may want and rather than taking a larger loss on a flagship receiver when trying to sell, I think the hit might be less on a lesser receiver (this is highly debatable).
Any serious performance hits on the amp-to-receiver-pre-outs setup? Any good (or bad) experiences to share?
All my HT stuff hangs out in a very open floorplan (main room opens to large adjacent room) -- total room size = 28'x15'. I'm happy enough with the speakers and sub for now (especially the sub!). The HT is for 90%HT/10%music. Most music listening is done from adjacent rooms while working or cooking, etc. Would probably enjoy multi-channel stereo DSP and DPL II on a new receiver. By the way, the HK AVR80 is sufficient for the room we're in -- but I would like to either stay at the same performance level, or take a small-step up in terms of performance/refinement.
Thanks for the insight.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
You didn't mention which speakers you use or a budget.
I would recommend something like the Denon 3802 with a 5 channel amp (outlaw 750).
YOu could get a Denon 4802 for about the same price but I'd be willing to bet something new will be out within a year (DPL II 7.1??)
If you decide to upgrade, then you can keep the amp and just upgrade to another inexpensive receiver with all the newest stuff or even step up to a pre/pro.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
If you want the latest and greatest, wait on Outlaw's 950 and get the 750 amp to go with it. That should take care of your needs for a long time to come. Well, at least until next Tuesday.
wink.gif

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
Budget for receiver or amp+receiver combo is up to $1800. I was thinking HK 520 (when available) + Acurus A125x5 amp (can be had used for under $650). Speakers are AR (Acoustic Research) 338 mains; AR 228 surrounds, and sub is a/d/s Ms3/u. I may consider upgrading the mains and shifting the other speakers rearward. Any other AR fans out there?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I forgot about the outlaw pre/pro.
Definitely gonna be tough to beat the outlaw combo:
pre/pro $899
amp (165x5) $1050
There you go!

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to avoid getting in the apparently long line waiting for the Outlaw 950. Besides, 6.1 is a must, meaning a 7-channel amp (or 5+2 channels) is in order; now my cash outlay exceeds my current limit. You know, I've had to ignore the upgrade bug for much too long already, so I needed to buy this stuff yesterday. 8^>
I was thinking of buying the HK 520 or Denon 3802 -- then later add the nice amp. Let a year elapse, see the Outlaw 950 accolades role in, then spring for the pre/pro & add a 2-ch or upgrade to a 7-ch amp. Then sell the receiver.
I have 8-ohm 86dB-sensitivity speakers all the way around -- can the 3802 drive them without frying something? I know the 520 will (5-channels only) but is the HK stuff no longer on anyone's recommend list. Did anyone see that the 520 xover can be set to 40, 60, 80 or 100? Has anyone listened to a 520 in their own home yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks