What's new

FINALLY! The Preston Sturges Collection (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Universal is releasing their 7 Preston Sturges Directed Films (THE GREAT McGINTY, CHRISTMAS IN JULY, SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, THE PALM BEACH STORY, THE LADY EVE, THE GREAT MOMENT, HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO)on November 21 at $59.95 SRP. I hope they do his screenplays (IF I WERE KING, EASY LIVING, REMEMBER THE NIGHT, DIAMOND JIM, NEXT TIME WE LOVE, HOTEL HAYWIRE) on dvd also!

Mark VH

Second Unit
FANTASTIC news. Too bad I'll have to double dip Sullivan, Palm Beach and The Lady Eve, but who freakin' cares. This is going on the Xmas list.

What's your source, just out of curiosity?

DeeF

Screenwriter
Perhaps The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels will be new transfers. The Criterion versions were exemplary, for their time, but look quite scratchy and old, now.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've been looking forward to these for some time. Please tell me that there will be no DVD-18 so that I may take part in this. It looks good since it's 7 discs, but Universal is still in the process of winning me back.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why would they use DVD-18 if there are seven discs? All of those films are less than 2 hours long.

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter
glad i didn't buy the lady eve when amazon had that criterion sale. this will be a must for me.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That is the best news I've heard all day. I hope they give Ernst Lubitsch's Paramount classics the same treatment at some point.

Regards,

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Yes Yes Yes I too have the already released films but will gladly double dip for this. I am so excited.

Its not the coffee its the bunk.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I suspect that (given the price) the packaging will be similar to the Cecil B. DeMille Collection, but I hope that Universal releases at least the original trailers on each disc. Classic film marketing was an art form in itself. Witness the trailers on the Hitchcock films or Patricia Neal pitching THE HASTY HEART or Gregory Peck plugging YELLOW SKY or the trailer for MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (A mini-movie unto itself--with an all-star cast that included Rex Harrison, Anne Baxter, Dick Haymes, Gene Nelson, Peggy Ann Garner --none of whom appeared in the film themselves). Of course, they had movie stars and film directors/showmen way back then.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Great news indeed. It'll be a double dip on a number of titles but I don't mind in this case. I even have Laser Discs of some of these. I'll keep my Criterion "Sullivan's Travels" with it's American Masters episode. Universal is really making me happy-even "The Great Moment"! Can this respect for the classic movie fan mean a Billy Wilder set is in the pipeline? I hope so.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
This is news I've been awaiting for a long time! Simply terrific. And as Ken mentions above, let's keep hoping for a Lubitsch boxed set.......and so many more. (Claudette, where's YOUR set??)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
is it just me or is this turning into the week of Universal, with all of the announcements and what they have done lately, i am going to so broke, Spartacus in HD, Preston Sturges, the Sci-Fi Collection, Karloff, Inner Scantum,
Finally they are willing to go into the vaults, this has been a great year for them, with Dietrich,West, Lombard, De Mille and then we have Double Indemnity and The Legacy Series of Frankenstein and Dracula 75 Ann. Collections to boot, i swear that are catching up with WB, just wish that the extras that were on the Criterions for PS could be ported over, but the films themselves are what is important, i just hope that they continue to do things right, move on from the DVD 18 fiasco of the past, and build a great classic fan base

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hail The Conquering Hero is one of my favorite scewballs ever!!!

I'm so happy about this announcement... it's l;ong overdue, but great news!!!

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Can't wait for this! A committed Universal is encouraging news, which classic fans can use in light of Paramount's new policy of apathy toward the caretaking of their library's legacy. Now about those noirs...

ted:r

Second Unit
Despite the double dipping, I heartily conquer with the sentiments. Universal does seem to be catching up on their catalog and this bodes well for the future. IMHO the WB and Fox are still ahead, and Universal does need to keep up this good start for them to rank in the aforementioned class, but there can be nothing but happiness for this news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks