FINALLY! The Preston Sturges Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Universal is releasing their 7 Preston Sturges Directed Films (THE GREAT McGINTY, CHRISTMAS IN JULY, SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, THE PALM BEACH STORY, THE LADY EVE, THE GREAT MOMENT, HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO)on November 21 at $59.95 SRP. I hope they do his screenplays (IF I WERE KING, EASY LIVING, REMEMBER THE NIGHT, DIAMOND JIM, NEXT TIME WE LOVE, HOTEL HAYWIRE) on dvd also!

2. Mark VH

Mark VH Stunt Coordinator

FANTASTIC news. Too bad I'll have to double dip Sullivan, Palm Beach and The Lady Eve, but who freakin' cares. This is going on the Xmas list.

What's your source, just out of curiosity?

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  4. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Perhaps The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels will be new transfers. The Criterion versions were exemplary, for their time, but look quite scratchy and old, now.

5. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I've been looking forward to these for some time. Please tell me that there will be no DVD-18 so that I may take part in this. It looks good since it's 7 discs, but Universal is still in the process of winning me back.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Why would they use DVD-18 if there are seven discs? All of those films are less than 2 hours long.

Crawdaddy

7. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

8. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

glad i didn't buy the lady eve when amazon had that criterion sale. this will be a must for me.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    That is the best news I've heard all day. I hope they give Ernst Lubitsch's Paramount classics the same treatment at some point.

Regards,

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

This one will go on the Christmas list. And the Criterion LADY EVE is heading to eBay. [​IMG]

11. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Yes Yes Yes I too have the already released films but will gladly double dip for this. I am so excited.

Its not the coffee its the bunk.

12. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I suspect that (given the price) the packaging will be similar to the Cecil B. DeMille Collection, but I hope that Universal releases at least the original trailers on each disc. Classic film marketing was an art form in itself. Witness the trailers on the Hitchcock films or Patricia Neal pitching THE HASTY HEART or Gregory Peck plugging YELLOW SKY or the trailer for MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (A mini-movie unto itself--with an all-star cast that included Rex Harrison, Anne Baxter, Dick Haymes, Gene Nelson, Peggy Ann Garner --none of whom appeared in the film themselves). Of course, they had movie stars and film directors/showmen way back then.

13. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I have the region 2 version of this box, all the transfers are excellent.

14. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric
    Great news indeed. It'll be a double dip on a number of titles but I don't mind in this case. I even have Laser Discs of some of these. I'll keep my Criterion "Sullivan's Travels" with it's American Masters episode. Universal is really making me happy-even "The Great Moment"! Can this respect for the classic movie fan mean a Billy Wilder set is in the pipeline? I hope so.

15. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

This announcement made my day (and week).

16. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

This is news I've been awaiting for a long time! Simply terrific. And as Ken mentions above, let's keep hoping for a Lubitsch boxed set.......and so many more. (Claudette, where's YOUR set??)

17. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    is it just me or is this turning into the week of Universal, with all of the announcements and what they have done lately, i am going to so broke, Spartacus in HD, Preston Sturges, the Sci-Fi Collection, Karloff, Inner Scantum,
    Finally they are willing to go into the vaults, this has been a great year for them, with Dietrich,West, Lombard, De Mille and then we have Double Indemnity and The Legacy Series of Frankenstein and Dracula 75 Ann. Collections to boot, i swear that are catching up with WB, just wish that the extras that were on the Criterions for PS could be ported over, but the films themselves are what is important, i just hope that they continue to do things right, move on from the DVD 18 fiasco of the past, and build a great classic fan base

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Hail The Conquering Hero is one of my favorite scewballs ever!!!

I'm so happy about this announcement... it's l;ong overdue, but great news!!!

19. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor

Can't wait for this! A committed Universal is encouraging news, which classic fans can use in light of Paramount's new policy of apathy toward the caretaking of their library's legacy. Now about those noirs...

20. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

Despite the double dipping, I heartily conquer with the sentiments. Universal does seem to be catching up on their catalog and this bodes well for the future. IMHO the WB and Fox are still ahead, and Universal does need to keep up this good start for them to rank in the aforementioned class, but there can be nothing but happiness for this news.