1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

finally the new yamaha line!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alton.M, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Alton.M

Alton.M Agent

The new yamaha receivers Rx-v 1400 & 2400 are 7.1 THX select with new features. any thoughts on this?

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

WOW!! Looks pretty sweet!

I wonder how their YPAO works compared to MCACC? I was planning on picking up a pre/pro pretty soon, but one of these might hold me over 'till Firewire and DVI(HDMI) are implemented into the new pre/pro's. Decisions, decisions...

Either way, my RX-V1200 is on it's way out.

4. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

sigh. If I decide to upgrade, this will end up being my 4th yammie receiver ever since I got the hometheater bug. 1)rx-v795 2)rx-v596 3) rx-v1200.

-Vic[​IMG]

5. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

Oh boy, the newer line seems to be bursting to the brim with features........ Damn my Z1 doesn't seem sexy anymore.[​IMG]

6. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Mingl:

Do not worry, heard thru the grapevine that the Z-1 replacement will be out around October for about $4,500. The RX-V3300, we can assume will be out as the 3400, as a lower priced alternative to the top of the line model.
    Wonder what they will call the Z-1 replacement...ummm, maybe the T-3 Terminator.

I'll buy your Z-1 for $500, you can have my DSP-A1 for $250. Deal?

JaimeB

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Any pre/pro? [​IMG] No. [​IMG]

Adjustable crossovers? Or are they still stuck on a fixed 90 Hz? (They don't say.) I love Yamaha's DSP, but ...

Will be interesting to get the details on YPAO. I.e., what kind of measurements (1/3 octave, 1/6, 1/10, etc) they take and what kind of eq parameters are available, and if there's any user adjustability...

8. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

If it's THX select certified it must use a THX crossover it's not made by THX but has certain specs as to what the rolloff must be and must be 80Hz. So this means it uses fixed 80Hz instead or uses an adjustable crossover.

Seems like everyone is jumping on room calibration train made popular by Pioneer. Yamaha, rumored Denon, Meridian, and Krell all are on the train, and I'd expect the top of the line Yamaha to have i.Link since Denon is introducing i.Link as well. It appears Pioneer must be raking in the cash if everyone is starting to copy them.

Daniel Smith

9. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Double post...

10. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

The Krell Showcase has been out for a long time. Around the same time as the MCACC stuff was coming out wasn't it?

The R&D for features like that must take quite some time, so it seems highly unlikely that they were "jumping on the room calibration train made popular by Pioneer."

11. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Uh, triple post??

Wow, that's kinda weird!

12. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

No I had my 49TX for at least six months when it was announced. I remember hearing about it going to the website and checking it out. I haven't used Krell's but I don't think it's as good as MCACC it doesn't have all the features. MCACC has been around for almost 2 years in September and I got mine in March of 2002.

I think it'd probably be easier since Yamaha can see how Pioneer did their MCACC and can follow their example somewhat and that would save them time since they already have a model to follow instead of building one from scratch.

Daniel Smith

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

14. KevinCa

KevinCa Auditioning

15. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the RXV1400 will include Circle Surround
    cinema and music modes. I find it superior to prologic2 and neo6 for all of my 2 channel sources.

16. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

17. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks KevinCa. It doesn't make sense to keep the Z-1 on this side of the Atlantic, one can get the 2400 with 7.1 THX Select and automatic room calibration.

Yamaha NEVER cared about THX certification, this must be a capitulation to increase sales against all other THX certified A/V receivers. This means that if Yamaha's full A/V line becomes THX, they'll eliminate the front effect speakers I've been hooked-to since my 2070, 3090 and DSP-A1 (the 3300, V-1 and Z-1 also use Yamaha's proprietary front effect speakers). Hope I'm wrong!

Oh well, so hows life in the ol' world? Haven't visited in 16 years...

JaimeB

18. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the Z9 do have speaker outputs for "presence", which should be the front effects. Incidentally, the "presence" can either do a powered zone 2 or "presence", depending on the setup.

Personally, I'd prefer to retain front effects, but I wonder what this new "presence" channel is all about.

Coincidentally, isn't it a cool feature to have overhead surrounds too?[​IMG] ..... 11.1 (or 11.2) speaker setup from standard 5.1 signal.

19. Dan A

Dan A Agent

does it make any sense to consider a refurbished rx-z1 at $1300, with these offering on the way?

20. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Is there a big price difference between the old model that didn't have THX and the new one that does? If there isn't than that should tell people that THX isn't expensive just as the companies that use THX have been saying.

Daniel Smith