What's new

Finally: The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989) Special Editions are coming in Fall of 2005! (1 Viewer)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, it seems like it's either commentary AND a proper film transfer or deleted scenes-- two good points versus one good point, and it all depends on Cronenberg's participation. I own four Cronenberg DVDs, none have deleted scenes and Videodrome isn't going to have any. It depends on your preferences for supplements whether you think Cronenberg's participation is a blessing or a curse. I myself am now torn. I'd double dip, if a director-approved version comes out down the road, finally, or, better yet, Cronenberg can cave-in and permit deleted scenes on his discs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"I don't put bloopers or any extra footage on my DVDs - this stuff was taken out of the film for a reason. It's like if you're a poet and you say, 'At the end of the book I'm going to show you these really bad lines of poetry that I realize are horrible.' Why would you do that?"
1) Because people are curious about the creative process and want to see the things the creator thought didn't work;

2) Because a lot of the time, material gets cut for reasons OTHER than that it sucks - time, pacing, etc.

It's Cronenberg's business if he doesn't want to include deleted scenes, but his reasoning doesn't fit all - or most - situations...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"I don't put bloopers or any extra footage on my DVDs - this stuff was taken out of the film for a reason. It's like if you're a poet and you say, 'At the end of the book I'm going to show you these really bad lines of poetry that I realize are horrible.' Why would you do that?"
1) Because people are curious about the creative process and want to see the things the creator thought didn't work;

2) Because a lot of the time, material gets cut for reasons OTHER than that it sucks - time, pacing, etc.

It's Cronenberg's business if he doesn't want to include deleted scenes, but his reasoning doesn't fit all - or most - situations...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Except those involving the DVD releases of his own films, which is really all he needs to justify. If he doesn't want deleted scenes on the disc because he thinks they'll alter a viewer's perception of the finished film then that's fair enough.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Except those involving the DVD releases of his own films, which is really all he needs to justify. If he doesn't want deleted scenes on the disc because he thinks they'll alter a viewer's perception of the finished film then that's fair enough.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's what I said - I noted that it's his business if he wants to exclude them. However, his quote seemed to question the rationale behind EVER including them, and it implied that deleted scenes are cut ONLY because they suck. I objected to that part...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's what I said - I noted that it's his business if he wants to exclude them. However, his quote seemed to question the rationale behind EVER including them, and it implied that deleted scenes are cut ONLY because they suck. I objected to that part...

David Prior

Insider
As a huge fan of The Fly who has been begging to do this DVD for years, you can rest assured that I'm doing everything I possibly can to resolve this. The good news is Cronenberg's in for the commentary. As for the rest ... we'll see.

Cheers,

David Prior

David Prior

Insider
As a huge fan of The Fly who has been begging to do this DVD for years, you can rest assured that I'm doing everything I possibly can to resolve this. The good news is Cronenberg's in for the commentary. As for the rest ... we'll see.

Cheers,

David Prior

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Perhaps showing him this link might help? the reaction of the fans about the deleted scenes?

in other news? are there plans for interview with other cast and crew members? John getz has retired from movies and is a teacher or something now. hopefully you can interview him.

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Perhaps showing him this link might help? the reaction of the fans about the deleted scenes?

in other news? are there plans for interview with other cast and crew members? John getz has retired from movies and is a teacher or something now. hopefully you can interview him.

JACOB

Haden

Supporting Actor
Normally I'd be excited, but if its an "either/or" thing, then I'd rather have the famous cut scenes than Cronenberg's commentary. I really hope we get both though.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Normally I'd be excited, but if its an "either/or" thing, then I'd rather have the famous cut scenes than Cronenberg's commentary. I really hope we get both though.

Greg K

Second Unit
I assume this means a new transfer as well?

I'm giddy that this SE is actually going to happen.

The film stands very well on its own, but the deleted scenes have a mystique all their own (and are not the redundant kind, like the other Dead Ringers dream sequence was cut for being). I hope and pray that we'll get them too.

The completeness of said scenes is also an issue.

As I understand it, the monkey-cat and leg amputation scenes are supposed to be one long sequence. Brundle creates and then kills the monkey-cat, then climbs up onto the roof and has pain in his side, causing him to fall onto an awning, where the leg bursts out and is bit off.

Presumably, the rough cut (preview screening) version ended after the monkey-cat's death.

It's also unknown how complete the leg amputation was (how much was cut together). The whole scene may have been scrapped before it was cut together due to the underlit leg amputation shot.

What a wonderful opportunity it would be to see this sequence completed...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks